Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows Vista home premium-I am fit to be tied with this error--PLEASE HELP

(!)

Member with 2,142 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Jun-2008, 07:33 PM #1
Angry Windows Vista home premium-I am fit to be tied with this error--PLEASE HELP
I don't understand this at all
this computer (a friends) said he waas on the computer till 10:30 last night and everything worked good. now this morning they couldn;'t get on the internet. I went out and tried and couldn't so I took it to my house and tried it there. I have a router set up for a small home network. Here is the weird part

I can plug this computer right into my router and I get on the internet right away no problems nothing. but the minute I try to get on the internet using just the dsl modem (which is what they have always used) I have tried 3 modems, all the same kind and none will let them on the internet.

when you try to get on the internet through a modem in the bottome left hand corner you get this error

waiting for res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm

and you get page cannot be displayed
when you go through the router you don't get that it gets right on the internet. I work some for the telephone company so I no there modems and have installed a few and pretty much no what I am doing with them. I have never come across this error and it just started out ot nowhere. can someone please help
Member with 2,142 posts.

24-Jun-2008, 08:51 AM #2
PLEASE----Does anyone know if there is a fix for this problem? If so what is it or where can I find it? I am desperate and she would like to have her computer back

This is what it looks like and then won't let you on the internet (with the dsl modem but will through the modem and router)

there is a pic of what it looks like here
http://www.blackhillsportal.com/cnt/...ervererror.jpg

Last edited by xfile47; 24-Jun-2008 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: more info
K7M K7M is offline K7M has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 795 posts.

24-Jun-2008, 09:22 AM #3
The reason you got on by going through your router is that your router stores the log on and passwords for your account. When you hook up directly to the modem, you have to have the software from the DSL provider to access your account, or reset the modem if it is a router/modem. If you are trying to get online just by opening your browser, it is probably not opening the log on screen for your account. You have to log in to your account via there software.
Computer Specs
Member with 76 posts.

24-Jun-2008, 10:03 AM #4
K7M (nice husky. Ihave a samoyed my 4th! great family of dogs) is right. You may have to contact your dsl provider to reset the modem: it's quick and easy.
Ionce spent 4 days trying to get online, try sitting through those phone calls! Ugh.
Member with 2,142 posts.

24-Jun-2008, 10:48 AM #5
OK, let me get this striaght, you say reset the modem. I know the router has a reset button but this modem does not. But unless I am missing something here, I do alot of dsl work for the phone company int this town. I have set up their modems many times and have never seen this problem, usually if there is a pro blem getting online you just recycle the modem by unplugging the power on the modem, turning the computer off, letting them sit a few min and then power up the modem let all the light get the way they should be and then turn the computer on and you get online, just like release and renew the ipaddress. I have never had a problem when I run a dsl line I hook up these modem all the time and these people have had the same modem, then it went bad so I got them another from the telephone company and just hook it up and they got right on. now they have had the new modem a month or so but I have tried 3 different modems, put in a new NIC card, I have never heard of resetting these modem unless you mean the recycle I just explained. As I said when someone new gets on the dsl I just set the computer up manually and hook up the modem and presto. Could ;you explain farther if I am missing your point cause I am frustrated. I read on the google that many people are haveing this problem but no one has a fix.
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

Experience: 12 Years
24-Jun-2008, 10:51 AM #6
I'm sorry I don't really understand how you got it to work. was the router you used plugged in to the modem too? if not what internet was it plugged in to? also, to reset a modem that does not have a reset button simply power cycle it (unplug, wait about 30 seconds, plug in, wait a good 5 minutes for everything to reboot.)
Computer Specs
Member with 795 posts.

24-Jun-2008, 10:57 AM #7
I don't know what brand of modem you are using but on the westell there is a tiny button or a hole with a button in it you have to depress for a few seconds while it is on to reset it. Also what is the page you are trying to access??? when I connect direct to my modem I have to acces the net by going to the homepage for my provider, enter user name & password, then I can surf. If I try to go anywhere other than my ISP's start page, I get a "cannot connect" error.

Last edited by K7M; 24-Jun-2008 at 11:04 AM..
Member with 2,142 posts.

24-Jun-2008, 11:00 AM #8
Yea that is what I mean, I have power cycled many modems. When they have their computer hooked up they just have the dsl to the modem then to the computer and it has worked for a long time. When this problem started they had been on the computer the night before and it worked fine and then the next morning it had that error at the bottom and they couldn't get on the internet. When I brought it to my place I have my dsl hooked from dsl to modem to router then the computer, I plugged there computer into my router and got on the internet no problem, right away and surfed for awhile. but if I by pass my router and just go dsl to my modem (which is the same kind as theirs and I have tried 3 of them right out of the box plus mine works fine) but my dsl to the modem and then to there computer I get the same error that ieframe.dll but if I plug it back like dsl to modem to router then the computer it gets right back on the internet. Am I explaining this so it is understandable or does it sound like jubberish? I am trying to let you no exactly what has been done. So does it make sense?
Member with 2,142 posts.

24-Jun-2008, 11:02 AM #9
On the small Westell's we use there is no reset button we just tell people how to power cycle them, but anyway the above thread explains alittle more I hope, please let me know
Computer Specs
Member with 795 posts.

24-Jun-2008, 11:06 AM #10
I just edited post #7 please read if you haven't seen it
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

24-Jun-2008, 11:34 AM #11
AH! when I had dsl this happened to me. It sounds like the dsl filters aren't on every phone in the house! one time I tried to rewire the way the dsl filters, filtered, and I was not able to connect but everything else worked fine. I would go phone to phone and make sure every phone is filtered somewhere along the line. Good luck!

@Below post: yeah I didn't think about that guess its because i'm using cable now :P

Last edited by Swizzler; 24-Jun-2008 at 11:46 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 795 posts.

24-Jun-2008, 11:35 AM #12
Or the filter is on the Modem.
Computer Specs
Member with 76 posts.

24-Jun-2008, 01:21 PM #13
I doubt its a filter problem: the latest westells have the filter in them along weith a definite reset button. K7M is right. This button.in the back of the box, is very small; u
need a pencil to depress it. Verizon recommends 15 sec depression. which is probably only a small amount of the actual depression u will experience.
Member with 2,142 posts.

24-Jun-2008, 02:50 PM #14
I hate to tell you and I am not trying to be rude but there is no reset button on this small westell. Having worked and still working for the telephnone company I have reset 50 of these and you have to power cycle them. Also it is not any one web site. It is the internet period. If I just hook into my home network like I do when I help alot of people it gets right on the internet no problem as it should and does. However, the problem is if You just hook it up to the modem then it won't go to any site, also we don't use filters on the phones we use one filter in the box outside the house you have the telephone and the asdl filter, I still hook up dsl for the telephone company just got back from doing one. So the problem is that waiting for res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm
It has never been there before, since it is showing up there is exactly when the problem started and it seems if you google that same error there are many many people haveing the same problems some with just certain sites others have other problems. I hope that clears some of the things up I am trying to get down to the brass tacks here and find the problem to that error, I have deleted all the temps, cookies, history, reset IE etc nothing helps, but if I rehook it through the router it gets right back on the internet with no problem, I have never had a problem like this
Computer Specs
Member with 35 posts.

24-Jun-2008, 03:02 PM #15
"waiting for res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm" translates to "waiting for resource: Internet Explorer DNS Error Page" Basically there is a problem with the dns, which means it is not talking to the phone companies servers on the other end. If it does not use filters than It might be something with the cables or the actual modem, but it sounds like you have already tried different modems on it with no avail. This is to the point where you really should contact the phone company, as it seems the modem is having a problem not from the computer to the modem, but the modem to the phone company.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!