Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dell Inspiron Vista Black Screen!!!!

(!)

Member with 51 posts.

12-Aug-2008, 08:41 AM #1
Angry Dell Inspiron Vista Black Screen!!!!
Hey,

I have a Dell Inspirion 1525.
Somehow, I have messed up the video settings I think.
If I hit media direct everything is fine, I can play a dvd no problem.
BUT, I can no longer get into Vista, I only get a black screen. The cursor is there and I can move it but the screen is totally black.

I called Dell and surprise, it's not hardware, it's software and I have to pay $$$ for them to help, and according to the tech, he may have to restore it, which I can do myself for free.

I have searched several forums, I found some people who fixed the issue by removing the battery and powering it up that way for a couple of seconds but that didn't work for me.

I also tried the suggestion of hooking it up to an external monitor but since I can't access anything I had no way of initiating the second monitor.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Juanita

ps, haven't been here in a while, love the new look
Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Einstein
12-Aug-2008, 12:10 PM #2
If the cursor is there, it means that you still have video (e.g. not a video problem), but are possibly waiting for something to load in the background.

Possible solution is to keep it on for a while (maybe a few hours) and see if it finishes loading.
Member with 51 posts.

13-Aug-2008, 08:22 AM #3
Black Screen Still!!!!!!!!!!
Hey,

Left it on for ages, no luck.

Funny thing, if I boot from the Vista CD, the screen works fine while I'm in that boot screen.
I ran a repair, nothing, black screen when I rebooted.

If it was a driver, wouldn't the screen have issues all of the time?
I can hit the load drivers button and view all my drives, programs etc. But as soon as I exit the boot from cd screen, black...........again.

Very weird.
Juanita
Computer Specs
Member with 2,221 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Aug-2008, 09:04 AM #4
The screen you get sounds quite like th eone you can get with an unactivated or out of 30 day period. However as you can play dvds, i would guess this isnt it. Just to confirm, did you mean you can out a dvd in after vista starts up, and it plays ok? If it does, do you get the buttons for play, rew etc at all? Do you have a task bar/ start button at all? Any writing on the screen whatsoever?
Sorry to ask so much, but it may narrow it down to an easier problem
Member with 51 posts.

13-Aug-2008, 07:48 PM #5
Hey

no problem, I appreciate all the help I can get.

If I power up the computer as per normal, I get the dell logo and then black screen, nothing else on the screen except the cursor which I can move. ctrl alt del does nothing, nor do any of the function keys. Same thing happens when I use F8 to try to enter safe mode.

If I boot from the vista cd, I get the windows help screen no problem, I have options to restore, reinstall, repair etc. There is no install point for a restore so that's out. I ran a repair, didn't work. In the repair, I have the option to load drivers. In here, I can browse through all of my files with no screen issues. Dell has a driver reset tool that I think would be useful if it supported vista

This dell has a round button with a house on it, if I turn on the machine using this button the machine launches the media direct program, here I can watch dvd's using the media direct default screen but I can only access this program and cannot use escape to enter windows. No buttons for play rewind etc, no task bar, no start menu

I am stumped.
Juanita
Computer Specs
Account Closed with 4 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Sep-2008, 03:19 PM #6
Buddy....this is as OS issue.....the computer works fine when you are booting through a DVD or in Dell Media direct because you are working outside the OS enviorment, try using Dell Factory Image restore or Reinstall using OS cds....hope it helps
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
black screen, booting issues, dell inspiron, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!