Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop won't stay in hibernate mode

(!)

Member with 196 posts.

29-Aug-2008, 12:19 PM #1
Angry Laptop won't stay in hibernate mode
Hi everyone~

Satellite P100 laptop.
Vista

I've always put my puter into hibernate mode before I go to bed. For the past couple of weeks now it is back on and running when I get up in the morning. (I don't have to press the power button)

I don't know what's wrong. I haven't downloaded any software and my puter habits haven't changed. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA

Beagle:
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Aug-2008, 02:57 PM #2
If you really mean hibernate rather than standby or sleep mode, then I only see two possibilities-and they're all remote ones. (Actually, I just thought of a couple others, but they're even more remote. Like you using your PC while 'sleep-walking'. Or someone else sneaking in & using it while you're asleep.)

Hibernate mode should totally shut off the power to your PC so it will *not* come back on automatically. But I've seen two exceptions to that. The more common one is a BIOS setting 'Wake on LAN'. That keeps the network connection powered & allows a remote user to boot your PC across the network. I've never seen this done via the Internet but I won't swear you can't.

The second that I've seen is also a BIOS setting controlling how the PC acts after a power interruption. I don't believe this should affect a laptop, BTW, unless you're using it without the battery. Anyway, usually they're set to either 'Stay Off' or 'Resume previous state'-which means stay off if they were off when the power was lost or come back on if they were on. But there's also usually a setting for 'Resume Power On' or something (never used it so don't remember the exact wording) that tells it to come back on even if it was off.

But like I said, those are long shots. I think it's more likely you mean that you put it into Standby (also called Sleep mode) in which case you probably have some process that runs even in Standby that brings it out of Sleep mode. (Scheduled Tasks will do this, for example, if you have a task set up that way.)
Member with 196 posts.

29-Aug-2008, 04:39 PM #3
Calvin~

I have 2 options when leaving my computer:

1. just leave it on
2. click "start" and choose sleep, hibernate or shutdown

I always click start and then the hibernate button- not the shut down or sleep button.

* I do have some scheduled tasks but I've always had those.

Last edited by beaglehound; 29-Aug-2008 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: forgot some info
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Aug-2008, 06:05 PM #4
Very strange. You've eliminated the possibility that you mean standby so you're definitely putting it into hibernation, which leave, in my experience, only the options I mentioned earlier. Hopefully someone else has a different experience that can help you.

One other thing to check (but this has pretty much got to be a long shot-if it was happening frequently, as your PC's 'wakeup' appears to be then I'm sure you would have noticed it already) is that the PC actually does go into hibernation.

I had one (XP) at work that I shut off at night but was on in the morning. Thought the first time that I'd just hit Restart instead of ShutDown, so I was more careful the next night. Still on in the morning so I was starting to wonder about the cleaning crew-but I got into a conversation as I was leaving that night, after I'd shut it down, and noticed that it had restarted-so I investigated & the sucker simply would not shut down unless I pulled the plug!

Eventually tracked it to a BSOD that occurred during shutdown & a Windows setting telling it to automatically restart after an error. That meant that as soon as the BSOD tried to show up Windows erased it as part of the automatic restart. But I'd always walked away as soon as it started shutting down so, until that third night, never noticed the restarting.

But like I said, if it was something like this you would have noticed it coming right back from 'hibernation' by now. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Member with 196 posts.

29-Aug-2008, 06:36 PM #5
Thanks for giving it a shot Calvin. Hopefully someone else on the board might be able to help. There's also a Toshiba site I can go to. Eventually I'll find the solution.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!