Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: smart self test failed

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Sep-2008, 09:49 AM #1
Solved: smart self test failed
my HP Pavilion Windows Vista 32bit won't run my Diagnostics test program(PC doctor5). when i ran the program from an external disk it says smart self test failed and surface scan test failed. the last time it did that it also failed to boot and i ahd to reinstall my Vista system (and obviously lost some files). i am now worried that the same problem might start again. what could cause the smart self test to fail? is it due to any thing i might have done or what because a few weeks ago i got infected with some malware and so i installed SUPERantispyware alongside AVG antivirus. the antispyware program removed some suspected files and it seemed that my computer was clean but now i am not sure what has happened again. please help.am desperate
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,220 posts.

30-Sep-2008, 12:33 PM #2
Hi jayleon98, and welcome to TSG.

S.M.A.R.T. (Self Monitoring And Reporting Technology) is hardware inside of a hard drives that reports the drive's internal physical condition to the host computer. I would backup any important documents and files off of the drive ASAP if I were you. There is a good chance that your hard drive is near failure and permanent loss or non-recoverable corruption of its contents. The drive may work fine for months or it may fail the next time you power up the computer or try to save a file to it..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

14-Oct-2008, 01:35 AM #3
Thanks. i contacted HP and they replaced the hard drive. Im relieved
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,220 posts.

14-Oct-2008, 09:24 AM #4
You are welcome.

As the originator of this thread you can mark it as solved using the button above your first post.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
crash, diagnostics, disk fail, smart self

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!