Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Vista x64 / Cannot Delete Files - File Name Too Long

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 155 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Sep-2008, 12:49 PM #1
Vista x64 / Cannot Delete Files - File Name Too Long
Hello,

I recently transferred a large quantity of files from my XP machine to my Vista x64 machine. All went well except for a small group of successfully transferred (Thunderbird) .eml files that cannot be opened, moved, copied, deleted, or renamed on the Vista machine.

If I try to delete the entire containing folder I get the following error:
This folder contains items whose names are too long for the recycle bin.

If I try to delete, open, copy or move the files themselves I get the following error:
The source file name(s) are larger than supported by the file system. Try moving to a location which has a shorter path name, or try renaming to shorter file names before attempting this operation.

The right-click context menu does not display the "rename" option (although rename is available for other files)

Anyone know how I can get rid of these?
shinybeast shinybeast is offline shinybeast is authorized to help remove malware.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 513 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Sep-2008, 04:15 PM #2
Can you move the folder to the root of the drive as in "C:" ? That may shorten the path enough to get them deleted. When you delete them hold the shift key to bypass the recycle bin.
Computer Specs
Member with 155 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Sep-2008, 04:54 PM #3
Thanks for the suggestion but no, I can't seem to move the files or the folder anywhere. I'm able to rename the folder but that's about it. I should also mention that there is a folder hierarchy associated with this issue. The structure looks like this:

PARENT (empty)

SUB (empty)

SUB (empty)

SUB (empty)

SUB (empty)

SUB (contains the above referenced files)
shinybeast shinybeast is offline shinybeast is authorized to help remove malware.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 513 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Sep-2008, 05:03 PM #4
You could try renaming all the subs to 1 character names. Otherwise, I'm at a loss other than attaching the drive to another OS that can handle it and delete from there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!