Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

The audio service is not running

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Nov-2008, 09:02 AM #1
The audio service is not running
Hi
Another member posted this same question) - same problem. Is there any way that you can help with this problem?
Cheers

Audio Service is not running - no sound
I have a Dell XPS M1210 laptop with the Vista OS.

My sound stopped working and I made no changes in audio settings nor did I load new software. I've seen similar posts, but I've taken several steps to correct this problem. No success. Please help!

Here's what happened and what I did:

I tried to play a video and got no sound. The speaker icon in the tray at the bottom right of my screen show a red circle with a white X in it to the right of the speaker.

When I hover my mouse over the speaker icon, the following message appears: "The Audio Service is not running."

When I right-click on the speaker icon, the volume mixer option is grayed out. I click on another option (play sounds) and get the following message: "This computer cannot play audio because the windows audio service is not enabled. Would you like to enable..." I click on "yes."

A dialog box appears. I go to the Playback tab. It tells me that "Speakers / Headphones SigmaTel hi-def codec is working." I highlight the section and press the configure button. Nothing happens.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for SigmaTel and Soundblaster. No effect on problem.

I ran diagnostics. The speakers worked for the diagnostics.

I spent two hours on the line with Dell technicians who tell me that it's not a hardware problem.

I tried logging on as another user. Still have a problem.

Last idea: I got an error message that said: "Audiodg.exe has stopped working and was closed." Is this a cause or a symptom? I tried rebooting and ran audiodg.exe and got the same error message. If it's a cause, what do I do?

I need sounds on my computer. Any ideas? In reading the forums it looks like others have the same problem.

Thanks
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Dec-2008, 09:43 AM #2
Arrow audio service is not running:solved in ACER 2920
Hi..
just wanna share a bit of experience.
I had a recent similar problem on that "audio service is not running" with my ACER 2920. spent whole day to solve the problem, including hours browsing the internet. and, late at night, i was very happy when i hear the sound again after unintentionally do these simple procedures:

right click on the speaker icon on the tray --> click the playback devices --> select a playback devices shown --> go to properties --> go to advanced --> restore default --> the red cross on the speaker icon was missing, and i hear the sound again.

it works for me.

hope it is useful for others.

C U.
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Dec-2008, 02:23 PM #3
goto Run>type "services.msc" find Windows Audio, If its not set to automatic then set it by double clicking it & from the drop down button select Automatic & restart the service.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!