Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: BSoD upon start up.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Dec-2008, 01:50 PM #1
Solved: BSoD upon start up.
Hello. ^^

As the title says. I have had a BSoD in the past but never becoming more frequent (I've had over 8 today compared to 3 in the past 6 months) and usually comes from other unrelated events.

When I start my computer and reach after the loading bars, I get a blue screen of death or the occasional hang up (screen goes black and mouse pointer doesn't show). I restart again and go into safe mode and auto-launch Vista's Start up Repair program which recommends a system restore (I don't know how far back but according to Mozilla Firefox's auto-restore feature, based on inference, from a day to a few days). Sometimes I temporarily get into a BSoD loop before I can log in perfectly:
1. BSoD
2. Restart
3. Start up repair and possibly a system restore (sometimes it isn't needed before step 4)
4. Restart
5. Another BSoD, go to step 2.

Though this may have nothing to do with problems starting up and could be hardware/malware issues. I've read some threads concerning my issue but the vast majority of them doesn't have helpful answers although it provided material that can help such as memory dump files (attached below) and doing a chkdsk command which I will give to you because an error tells me that the disk is being used and will produce a log upon restart (which might take some time if I have the patience to endure through 2 or 3 more BSoD). Also, other threads suggest it could be driver related. I am having a driver problem with my keyboard. When I open a game, I enter an approximately 1 minute period where I cannot type anything and the Num Lock key doesn't respond. I usually wait this out but on the *very* rare cases, when it doesn't respond at all, I have to uninstall the driver, restart and allow the computer to auto-detect it and install the driver again. This has happened twice in the last months or so.

The BSoD loops started yesterday, spontaneously. I had barely done anything on my computer besides playing a game, reading fanfiction and that's pretty much it.

I am using Windows Vista home Basic, Service Pack 1 and running on an Acer computer.. I am not up-to-date because Vista's Start up repair program will undo the updates. I have not run an anti-virus scan as of yet because I doubt it could be related to viruses or malware but I could be wrong. I have not much knowledge around these but if you think it would help, I can do some logs for you.

Is there anything you guys can do? Any help, support or suggestions would greatly be appreciated. If you need anything else that could possibly help at all, please ask for it and I'll do my best. I fear my computer is on the path of self-combustion which is a big no-no! >=O

~~~~

Latest error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 3081

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 8E27CC12
BCP3: 8795B594
BCP4: 8795B290
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Please find attached: Memory dump files.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Memory dump files.rar (71.3 KB, 28 views)
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
13-Dec-2008, 02:35 PM #2
There is only one current minidump -- the rest are from August.

The current one reads:

BugCheck 1000007E, {c0000005, 8e27cc12, 8795b594, 8795b290}

Probably caused by : enethusb.sys ( enethusb+2c12 )

>>> Are you using a USB Modem? That appears to be a driver associated with it.

>>> Post a HijackThis scanlog for further review:

Download and install HijackThis. Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

>>> Also, verify if any of the problems you are reporting occur in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking support, or a "Clean Boot" >>

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique

First, restart in Safe Mode if necessary -- (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu) or Normal mode

Then:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 << written for Vista, but applies equally well to XP

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.
Computer Specs

14-Dec-2008, 03:41 AM #3
Hello Rollin' Rog,

Thank you for your time in helping me. ^^ I do use a USB Modem and I can verify that the problems occur during a clean reboot and never in safe mode. I will get back to you on the Clean boot trouble shooting. Here is the hijacklog you requested,

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 4:25:08 PM, on 14/12/2008
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Windows\System32\WerFault.exe
C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\SysMonitor.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\x86\eDSLoader.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Windows\System32\nvraidservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009\avp.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Windows\explorer.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
C:\Users\Sleepy Dog\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://en.au.acer.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: IEVkbdBHO - {59273AB4-E7D3-40F9-A1A8-6FA9CCA1862C} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009\ievkbd.dll
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Acer eDataSecurity Management - {5CBE3B7C-1E47-477e-A7DD-396DB0476E29} - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\x86\eDStoolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acer Empowering Technology Monitor] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\SysMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eDataSecurity Loader] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\x86\eDSloader.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LanguageShortcut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\Language\Language.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVRaidService] C:\Windows\system32\nvraidservice.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009\avp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UnlockerAssistant] "H:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Web traffic protection statistics - {1F460357-8A94-4D71-9CA3-AA4ACF32ED8E} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009\SCIEPlgn.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {10093E98-C073-4C75-8D0E-FB5CD3A71D33} (ZoneUpwords Object) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...s.cab57176.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (MSN Games - Installer) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...o.cab56649.cab
O16 - DPF: {C3F79A2B-B9B4-4A66-B012-3EE46475B072} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary...t.cab56907.cab
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\mzvkbd.dll
O23 - Service: ePerformance Service (AcerMemUsageCheckService) - Unknown owner - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePerformance\MemCheck.exe
O23 - Service: Agere Modem Call Progress Audio (AgereModemAudio) - Agere Systems - C:\Windows\system32\agrsmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Anti-Virus (AVP) - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009\avp.exe
O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: eDataSecurity Service - Egis Incorporated - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\x86\eDSService.exe
O23 - Service: eRecovery Service (eRecoveryService) - Acer Inc. - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\eRecoveryService.exe
O23 - Service: eSettings Service (eSettingsService) - Unknown owner - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eSettings\Service\capuserv.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe

--
End of file - 7903 bytes
And to also help you further, here are the latest, and first, error report from Startup repair and also the latest BSoD error.

Problem event name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 1: Autofailover
Problem Signature 2: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
Problem Signature 3: 3
Problem Signature 4: 196611
Problem Signature 5: baddriver
Problem Signature 6: baddriver
Problem Signature 7: 0
Problem Signature 8: 1
Problem Signature 9: Systemrestore
Problem Signature 10: 0

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 3081

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 8E06AC12
BCP3: 8795F5AC
BCP4: 8795F2A8
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Note: If I don’t happen to reply back in a week, my computer finally put out and calling my vendor for a replacement. I still have my warrenty, lol. <3

UPDATE: I have done the Boot trouble shooting on services and none of them produce the problem. Also note that during testing, "Kaspersky Antivirus" could not be disabled. I assume this is because of Kaspersky's self-protect module that prevents disabling itself by other means. I am now moving on to start up.

UPDATE: I have done the boot trouble shooting on start up and none of them produce the problem. Again, during testing, "Kaspersky Antivirus" could not be disabled. Also note that during the entire test, I had no blue screens. I will now enable everything and see if it produces the problem upon restart. After that, I'll continue to troubleshoot with Microsoft services.

UPDATE: I enabled everything - everything the way it was when the problem occurred - and now, the problem doesn't show up at all as if my computer fixed itself spontaneously. Should I still continue testing Microsoft services? I will wait for further guidance upon this matter. Again, your help is deeply appreciated. ^^

Last edited by Arcee; 14-Dec-2008 at 05:16 AM..
Computer Specs

14-Dec-2008, 02:17 PM #4
If the problem is no longer occuring, for whatever reason, further clean boot testing will not help isolate it, as the idea there is to narrow it to the one service or program which causes the problem.

When you get a BSOD, the most important item to note is the driver mentioned -- from that, if a 3rd party one, the reccomendation is usually to remove and reinstall the associated program.

This might be the drivers for the USB modem, if that one continues to recur in the future. Else test with a direct connection if practical.

And you're right, most antivirus and outside firewall programs cannot be completly disabled -- but I don't think they are involved here.

I don't see anything in the scanlog to be concerned with.

This running task however, should not be present except after an error, since it is the "windows error reporting" program >> C:\Windows\System32\WerFault.exe
Computer Specs

14-Dec-2008, 03:14 PM #5
Hmm, WerFault.exe should not be running you say? Maybe my computer was just preparing fot the BSoD that was to come, *laugh*. But anyway, it seems my computer is completely fine; I'm even able to update without it being undone by system restore.

Despite this however, I suspect it might be a ruse; a calm before the storm but I'll mark the thread as solved for now. Thank you for the help, Rollin' Rog. ^^
Computer Specs

15-Dec-2008, 12:16 PM #6
No problem, I can always remove the "solved" tag if the gremlin returns -- just update the thread if that happens

I'm not sure whether you've had a look at the System log in the Event Viewer (run: eventvwr.msc))

If you see any "NTFS" errors there, you need to run chkdsk. Other than that most things there can be ignored if they are not actually associated with a continuing problem.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bsod, start up, startup

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!