Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

memory usage high

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 43 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Dec-2008, 01:24 PM #1
memory usage high
hi, i was wondering if anyone can explain me why my physical usage memory is so high, when im not running any programs, its at full of processes going on that are taking up all the memory...is there anyway i can maybe stop some of em from running so i ca free up some memory usage?
Senior Member with 3,362 posts.

Experience: More than enough to get myself in trouble
15-Dec-2008, 02:30 PM #2
1) Start, type msconfig in the search box and hit enter. Click the startup tab. Uncheck everything that you don't need starting when you boot into windows. Reboot.

2) After rebooting again, check your memory usage. If you see any process that looks like its taking more than it should, google it and see what application it belongs to.

3) You can always post a HiJack This log in the malware forum and ask one of the security guys to check for problems.
Computer Specs
Member with 43 posts.

16-Dec-2008, 09:27 AM #3
Thanx for the info
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtoast View Post
1) Start, type msconfig in the search box and hit enter. Click the startup tab. Uncheck everything that you don't need starting when you boot into windows. Reboot.

i had already unchecked all unnecessary processes in Msconfig before post. made my system boot jump from like what seemed to be 8 min to split seconds. still out of 2 gig available, my system is still using a gig.

2) After rebooting again, check your memory usage. If you see any process that looks like its taking more than it should, google it and see what application it belongs to.

i will go back n check on what processes are still running and googlem to see if they are necessary or not.

3) You can always post a HiJack This log in the malware forum and ask one of the security guys to check for problems.
i dont know what hijack is
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
17-Dec-2008, 12:53 PM #4
How much physical memory is installed, and how are you determining its usage?

If you open the Task Manager (right click on task bar at bottom of desktop and select it from the context menu) and look at the Performance tab -- the indicator to note is the graphical bar which indicates current total physical mem use and the "Physical Memory" usage at the bottom -- pay NO attention to "free" memory -- that is an almost meaningless indicator.

If you select the "Resource Monitor" and then "Memory" you will see how this is allocated, process by process. Pay attention to the "commit (kb)" for each process -- this will tell you how much physical memory is being reserved for that process over all. Working Set is how much of that is actually being used at the moment.

Download and install HijackThis. Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis
Computer Specs
Member with 43 posts.

17-Dec-2008, 06:22 PM #5
thanx for the reply. when i open task manager it says 740mb memory being used, n total physical memory 1917mb..thanx for the bit on the resource monitor but i already had looked at that. i just dont know what exactly it all means.
i took a log here is what the program came up with
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:18:59 AM, on 12/18/2008
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\System32\perfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = http://search.imesh.com/sidebar.html?src=ssb
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://search.imesh.com/sidebar.html?src=ssb
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://search.imesh.com/sidebar.html?src=ssb
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.gateway.com/g/startpage.h...s=PTB&M=MT6459
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gateway.com/g/startpage.h...s=PTB&M=MT6459
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.webcrawler.com/info.wbcrw...rms/search.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.webcrawler.com/info.wbcrw...rms/search.htm
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - - (no file)
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: CleanMyPC Popup Blocker - {7A9BC6B1-7F27-47c6-A66D-13582E81E537} - C:\Program Files\CleanMyPC Popup Blocker\CleanBHO.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.1.615.5858\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: CleanMyPC Toolbar - {04164EC4-1E48-4279-818E-3721931E7636} - C:\Program Files\CleanMyPC Popup Blocker\CleanBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] "C:\Windows\System32\msconfig.exe" /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [StartCCC] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Plus meta] "C:\ProgramData\wavebindbind.9oq058u"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [pile heart beep grid] "C:\ProgramData\Bend Move Obj.ehod7"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: Stardock ObjectDock.lnk = C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate with &Babylon - res://C:\Program Files\Babylon\Babylon-Pro\Utils\BabylonIEPI.dll/Translate.htm
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: ICQ6 - {E59EB121-F339-4851-A3BA-FE49C35617C2} - C:\Program Files\ICQ6\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ6 - {E59EB121-F339-4851-A3BA-FE49C35617C2} - C:\Program Files\ICQ6\ICQ.exe
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.exe.imgfarm.com/images/noc...tup1.0.1.0.cab
O16 - DPF: {AA07EBD2-EBDD-4BD6-9F8F-114BD513492C} (NeffyLauncherCtl Class) - http://dist.globalgamecdn.com/dist/n...fyLauncher.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgwlntf - C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\avgwlntf.dll
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Resident Shield Service (AvgCoreSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgrssvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech Inc. - c:\program files\common files\logitech\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: LVSrvLauncher - Logitech Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\SrvLnch\SrvLnch.exe
O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 4.0 - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Nero BackItUp 4\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: PrismXL - New Boundary Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe

--
End of file - 8266 bytes

what does this all mean it might as well have been in swahili.
Computer Specs

18-Dec-2008, 12:05 PM #6
Quote:
when i open task manager it says 740mb memory being used, n total physical memory 1917mb..thanx for the bit on the resource monitor but i already had looked at that. i just dont know what exactly it all means.
This means, basically that you are using less than half your installed memory at the time you read that. And that means you do NOT have a memory resource issue.

If it were to approach 3/4 th your installed memory or even exceed it -- then I would be concerned.

For what it's worth, I do not know what these starting processes represent in your Scanlog, do you?

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Plus meta] "C:\ProgramData\wavebindbind.9oq058u"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [pile heart beep grid] "C:\ProgramData\Bend Move Obj.ehod7"
Computer Specs
Member with 43 posts.

19-Dec-2008, 09:22 AM #7
ohh ok so that is good...yeah i notice them to once i read up a little more on what the log means its actually not that hard to understand...they turned out to be spyware or malware of the sort...i deleted them...but now my darn IE 7 keeps on crashing im gonna try to reinstall it from scratch...
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2008, 11:39 AM #8
You can't reinstall IE unless it was an upgrade.

What errors or crashes are you getting with IE?

You can test in "no add-ons" mode.

Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > No Add-ons.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro

You could also try upgrading to IE8 beta 2.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...a/default.aspx
Computer Specs
Member with 43 posts.

19-Dec-2008, 02:57 PM #9
thanx. but i had already upgraded to the 8 beta version. i know that i accidently deleted something that i shouldnt have from the log on hijack. one of those top files. i wanted to get ride of the imesh n crawlertool bar from the log b/c i deleted imesh more than a year ago n crawel over a few months ago. now that i have downloaded the new version though it appears that the shortcut on from teh start menu wont work with it got some kinda add on problem. went to the site still searching around to fix it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!