Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Toshiba Satellite running in Vista and my screen or computer won't boot up

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

19-Dec-2008, 06:41 PM #1
Unhappy Toshiba Satellite running in Vista and my screen or computer won't boot up
Last night I was working on a slideshow using windows movie maker in Vista. I had trouble getting the software to recognize my video files for my camcorder so I was suggested to try and download codec so it could play my files.... I have no idea what I was doing but gave it a shot.

Even though the codec didn't work even after download I was still able to run my computer normally. This morning I woke up and continued to work on my slideshow but my computer would not play my slideshow. All it would do was play the audio and music files.... Everything else seemed to function so I decided to reboot.

My computer will reboot but now my screen is black. It still "functions" I can see it changing different colors of black and grey as it is rebooting... and I can hear all the audio that comes along with rebooting but I can't get my laptops screen to work.

I hooked up my desktop to my laptop to see if the monitor would work that way. It worked for about 30 sec and then turned black also. I then rebooted and hit F8 and ran in safe mode with my desktop screen still connected. I am able to run in safe mode but not reboot normally. I think I downloaded some virus with that codec.

I then decided to unhook the desktop monitor and just hit F8 hoping the screen would show up on my laptop... but that still won't work. It remains black.

Now I am running in safe networking mode so I can find out what to do next. I tried a system restore in safe mode but I think it only deleted windows updates and not anything else. I cannot locate my toshiba restore CD as we moved a month ago and it is somewhere in a box....

So here I am. I worked endlessly on a slideshow for christmas and cannot play it or finish it until my laptop is running again. I also attempted a system restore during rebooting but I don't know my password for administrator and I tried a couple that I thought I would have used during setup but they weren't the right ones and so now it disabled me from running as administrator. Can someone tell me what I can do? Thanks so much
Member with 7,891 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Dec-2008, 11:44 AM #2
In safe mode Remove that codec pack you installed, use Contol Panel>Programs and Features.

If you really think it is an infection, (very possible) you will have to take it to a reputable PC repair shop for disinfection.

Meanwhile find your restore Disc, it may be needed.

" I have no idea what I was doing but gave it a shot." I hope you learn from this.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
screen won't turn on, toshiba satellite, virus, vista, windows movie maker

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!