Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: error code -5006 : 0x8000ffff

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Dec-2008, 09:05 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: error code -5006 : 0x8000ffff
I have a new computer with windows vista, I have a amd phenom 9500 quad core 2.2 ghz, nvidia 9600gt, 750 gb hard drive and 8 gb ram. i've installed some games already but when i tried to install fallout 3, i get the error code -5006 : 0x8000ffff. i've looked around on the internet and found lots of people with the same problem but no real solution. is it a problem with the disk i'm trying to install or a windows issue or an installshield issue. please help
Member with 78 posts.

29-Dec-2008, 09:54 PM #2
There is a little thing called "Google"
Try using it sometime:
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
And if you want i can be even more helpful:

http://forums.techguy.org/search.php?searchid=543922

I will admit it isnt usually playing games, or even in vista, but still, try using search function and you might find an answer once in a while.
Member with 8,250 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Dec-2008, 03:07 AM #3
d:
Good point about searching sometimes with fewer terms than more terms. Searching, I think, is an art. Nicely done.

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. " results from the techguy.org link.

RF123
robotnut94 robotnut94 is offline   robotnut94 has a birthday soon!
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Einstein
30-Dec-2008, 04:03 AM #4
two things,
1) frickin sweet computer man
2) i have found a solution to your fallout woes, and it is quite simple:
DO NOT INSTALL FALLOUT. i tried it on my friends computer, and he tried for the next 6 months, and then after the reported 495th time, his hard drive fried itself, and he had the same computer as you
Computer Specs

30-Dec-2008, 06:18 AM #5
Well I expected a little less of a condesceding answer and did you read, i had been looking around on the internet (using google) finding several answers with no real solution. thanks for nothing dunc 453. robotnut 94 thank you for the warning
Member with 8,250 posts.

30-Dec-2008, 06:54 AM #6
p:
Please tell us the steps you have tried, to fix your problem.

RF123
robotnut94 robotnut94 is offline   robotnut94 has a birthday soon!
Computer Specs
Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Einstein
30-Dec-2008, 04:56 PM #7
ur welcome
Computer Specs

30-Dec-2008, 09:41 PM #8
I tried a normal install, installing direct from the disk set.exe file. i tried reinstalling windows installer 4.5 from the microsoft. saw a couple of people who were advised to change the name of the installshield file to OLD and i wanted to try that but could not locate the file on my "C" drive in programs/common files even after changing the view to show hidden files. these fixes were geared toward those running windows XP. i have windows vista 64-bit. the tech guy for besthesda software gave tips for windows XP which was from the control panel try to install from the add/remove programs option. this is not my first computer just my first time with windows vista. I would like to know how to find the installshield file to try that change but i can't locate it. that solution was mentioned a couple of times. any real help would be appreciated. my only other solution is to reformat but i feel i shouldn't have to reformat a computer that is 3 weeks out of the box.
Member with 8,250 posts.

31-Dec-2008, 07:31 AM #9
I have c:\program files\common files on my Vista Ultimate computer.

Search your HDD for the file. Open "computer". In the upper right, will probably be "search". Type: install*
The * is a wild card; stands for anything.

You will probably have to use advanced search and indicate that you want search to include hidden, non indexed, etc

RF123
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
31-Dec-2008, 02:39 PM #10
Although written for Windows Update I'd give this registry edit a shot, especially if you see any of the values mentioned >>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414

You also need to verify whether this is a problem with all new installs or updates -- or just this one.

The disk could very well be bad -- check for scratches and dirt.
Member with 8,250 posts.

31-Dec-2008, 06:07 PM #11
p:
RR is very knowledgeable.

My result from searching my Vista 32 Bit Ultimate for install*shield is attached.

RF123
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: error code -5006 : 0x8000ffff-install_shield.jpg  
Computer Specs

31-Dec-2008, 09:23 PM #12
I exchanged the game for a new hoping for a longshot but I got the same error code. Still can't find the Installshield file, even with trying the suggestions. Rolling Rog suggestion didn't work either. Found an InstallShield Information file, changed it, but it didn't work either. Checked MSoft web site with no luck for a fix. Acresso, developers for InstallShield, is no help either. does anyone even know what this error code means? Any other ideas or is anyone interested in an unused copy of Fallout 3.

Last edited by phines4; 31-Dec-2008 at 09:46 PM..
Member with 8,250 posts.

01-Jan-2009, 12:52 AM #13
p:
Please search for: install*shield. When it has finished, use the advanced search feature. Check the box to search for indexed, hidden, etc files / folders
Take a screen shot.
Use the "go advanced" button, upload the image.

Screen shot.
On your keyboard press the "PRNScn" [ or similar label ] button.
Open microsoft paint.
Paste the screen shot
Save the file as a .jpg / .jpeg

RF123
Computer Specs

01-Jan-2009, 01:51 AM #14
Well that worked as far as finding the installshield files which one should I work on?
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: error code -5006 : 0x8000ffff-rainforest123.jpg  
Computer Specs

01-Jan-2009, 02:32 AM #15
Couldn't wait so I set a restore point and I renamed the InstallShield file inthe the common file to InstallShieldOLD. It worked! Thanks for your help rainforest123 and everyone else (except dunc453). If you have an error code -5006 : 0x8000ffff, find your InstallShield file C/program files/common files and rename it InstallShieldOLD. Mine was actually under C/program files(x86)/common files. I run OS windows vista x64. It does work. Please excuse while I play my game. Thx
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!