Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Smart failure predicted on hard disk...

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jan-2009, 03:38 PM #1
Solved: Smart failure predicted on hard disk...
Hi I'm new. Just found your site after frustrating issues with my gateway laptop model MT6706 purchased 5/07. Vista operating system has been SLOW and freezing up alot the past week. Not sure what is relative to mention since it seems that the bottom line is that my hard drive is toast. Yesterday I got a black screen message:Smart failure predicted on hard disk 2:xxxxxxxxxxxx Immediately back- up your data and replace hard drive Press F1 to continue. Once I press F1 the screen just goes black. After pressing F8 and waiting for safe mode and waiting some more the blue screen appears that a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage. Bios log mentions preboot error 12/27 memory was changed...must have been after my son, trying to help by "downloaded a program to update the bios".

At this point, I need to try to retreive some information on the hard drive before replacing but don't know how to do that. I found something on the site here that mentions hooking up to another computer with Vista but my hubby's got business version, mine was home. Does that matter?? If not, how do we go about trying this?

Thanks!
anorth
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 115 posts.

Experience: Surprisingly Alot
01-Jan-2009, 07:25 PM #2
No, it doesn't matter, heck, they could be different versions of Windows all together and it wouldn't matter. But not to confuse you. You should try that way you "found on a site".
Member with 7,891 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jan-2009, 01:11 AM #3
1. Remove the hard drive from the MT6706 laptop

2. Install that hard drive in a external USB hard drive enclosure you buy. Be sure to buy the correct one,
a. it is for a laptop hard drive (2.5")
b. it supports the hard drive connections, Gateway says its a Sata hard drive.
c. It supports Sata II

3. Connect the external USB enclosure to hubby's PC, if there is any life left in the drive it should show up in Windows explorer on hubby's PC, copy and paste any data you need to save to hubby's PC.

4. Buy new hard drive and install it in MT6706 and re-install windows using recovery Cd's that came with the laptop.

Some enclosures
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...10%20-%20%2425

Gateway MT6706 component replacement manual, page 5 to remove and replace hard drive.
http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals..._Oasis_RPL.pdf

All your literature for that model
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/...05915Rnv.shtml
Computer Specs

02-Jan-2009, 08:28 AM #4
Thanks for the links and useful instructions!! Great forum!! Will post results.
Computer Specs

04-Jan-2009, 09:37 PM #5
So I've discovered my laptop is still under warranty!! I'm off to get an external hard drive tomorrow to try to back up my data before shipping it out for service. Any suggestions on EHD that's reliable, easy to use and will store everything including program files? I'm looking at a Seagate Free Agent 500 GB and a Western Digital My Passport Essential 250 GB Portable. Any thoughts?
Thanks Again!!
Member with 7,891 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jan-2009, 10:04 PM #6
I like seagate free agents, they have a 5 year warranty where most others have 1 year, some 2 or 3. Only seagate offers 5 year on the free agent models.

But hey, buy what makes you happy!
Email This Email  Print This Print  Bookmark This Bookmark  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!