Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows won't start....

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jan-2009, 07:59 PM #1
Windows won't start....
When I turn on my computer it says "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause....."
and then it gives me all the options to start in safe mode or start normally etc. But when I try to change the options or press any key the keyboard is not responsive. I tried burning a vista repair disk and puting that in there but once again it says to boot from cd or dvd press any key and I can't push any key. So it counts down to start normally and goes to the windows "loading wait bar" thing and the hard drive access light blinks for awhileand then stops and the bar thing keeps on "loading" forever or untill I turn it off by holding the power key.

The computer is a Sony Vaio vgn-nr160e with vista. It's only about a year old. This all started about four months ago but if my memory serves me correctly I updated or downloded some driver or something and the computer had to restart to finish the update. When it restarted...well....the rest is history.
Computer Specs
Member with 276 posts.

07-Jan-2009, 09:16 PM #2
Your keyboard should be loading with BIOS in a driverless configuration. See if you are able to access BIOS or not.

If you are able to access BIOS, set your CD/DVD rom as the first boot device so you are able to boot from CD/DVD rom. Once this is done, try booting from your Vista DVD and selecting the Repair option to access the repair boot option. If this fails, then try running your Vista repair disk(as I'm not sure what you mean or what it will do, run it when all other options are exhausted).

If not it may be that windows is looking for a keyboard and not detecting one. I am ot sure if it is still the same, but it used to be(older versions for sure) that windows would not boot without a keyboard. See if you can borrow one from a friend and see if that will allow you to boot.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Jan-2009, 09:31 PM #3
Amongst the options other than safe mode, have you see and tried "Last Known Good Configuration"?

This is one of the problems that occurs where manufacturers are allowed to install Windows and not give you a Windows dvd because the Windows dvd, has repair options you really need to try.

One other thing I would do is download and install the Ultimate Boot Cd and run checkdisk from the hard disk tools.
http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm
Boots to an iso file and then you burn to cd with an iso burner. If you do not have one, here is a free one you can use:
http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/Bu.../BurnCDCC.html
Computer Specs

08-Jan-2009, 08:00 PM #4
Okay I can get into the bios menu but I still have no keyboard. I press F2 when the vaio menu pops up and it goes to a Phoenix TrustedCore Setup utility menu. so the keyboard works for that part. but once I get to the setup utility no key I push has any sort of reaction.
Computer Specs

08-Jan-2009, 08:11 PM #5
I also tried pluging a usb keyboard into it just to see if that would bear any fruit. nothing.
Computer Specs

08-Jan-2009, 08:15 PM #6
Try the Ultimate Boot cd, that is your only chance now.
Computer Specs

08-Jan-2009, 08:25 PM #7
I want to try a boot cd but when I put in a boot disk it says to boot from disk press any key. No amount of key pressing will work.

Posted via Mobile Device
Computer Specs

08-Jan-2009, 11:06 PM #8
That will only work if you have a bootable disk.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!