Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Corrupt System Registry File (Error 0xc000014c)

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

19-Feb-2009, 04:03 PM #1
Corrupt System Registry File (Error 0xc000014c)
The other night I went to turn on my computer and received this message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system
Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

I have a Toshiba Portege (tablet, bought in September 2007), with Intel Centrino Duo and Windows Vista Business. I know that you would probably need more information about my computer, but that is honestly all I know about it. My computer was bought through my school, and my tech support guy did not provide us with the Vista installation disc, and I have no way of reaching him until I return to school next week. However, I need my laptop before then (I am currently on my mother's laptop). Is there any other way for me to solve this problem, or am I out of luck?
Senior Member with 3,852 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Feb-2009, 04:09 PM #2
hi this should help http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html but make your own recovery discs once your sorted there should be the option in all programs

19-Feb-2009, 04:23 PM #3
I downloaded the file and burned it to a CD, but when I inserted it into my laptop nothing happened: I just got the same error screen.

Is there a certain key I need to press or something?

19-Feb-2009, 04:29 PM #4
did you burn as iso file try using imgburner no key you may need to go into the bios and change the boot order to cd/dvd try f2 on boot

19-Feb-2009, 05:59 PM #5
Okay, when I press F2 the screen shows the general "TOSHIBA In Touch With Tomorrow" logo, and below that are six icons that you can choose from.

The first icon is 3 stacked discs, the second icon is 3 stacked discs and something else that might represent a hard drive, the third icon is one disc, the fourth icon is a floppy disk and a memory card, the fifth icon is two laptops connected by a network or wires of some sort, and the sixth icon is a USB flashdrive type of thing.

I tried the first three icons, since they were the ones that showed discs, but each time it just took me back to the same error screen.

19-Feb-2009, 06:03 PM #6

19-Feb-2009, 07:23 PM #7
Thanks so much for your help, I was able to start up the disc. It didn't work, but for the other people out there with the same problem who have the disc, I think it will. And once I'm able to contact my tech guy and get the proper disc I'm sure this will work.

19-Feb-2009, 07:28 PM #8
ok here is something to try go to your comps mfr support web site page for your model and you should be able to get the manual or info and see if there is a recovery partitions and how to access it once you know that you can restore it to its original factory settings google toshiba support and work from there
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
0xc000014c, corrupt system registry, system32, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!