Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Vista will not allow Print Sharing

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

05-Mar-2009, 09:05 AM #1
Unhappy Solved: Vista will not allow Print Sharing
I am trying to set up a network with two computers (Advent XP Laptop and Acer Aspire Vista PC) with an hp printer connected to the Acer PC. (which works fine on the Acer PC)

Every time I try to turn on print sharing on Vista (via Control Panel/ Network & Internet/ Network & Sharing Centre/ Sharing and Discovery/ Print Sharing remains Off (Dull grey light) [I dont thing the bulb has gone].

Can I rectify this without having to reload?

Graham
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,203 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Mar-2009, 12:20 PM #2
Have you shared the printer?

Also what AV program do you have running?

05-Mar-2009, 01:09 PM #3
No I have not been able to share the printer.

As far as I am aware I have no AV program running. But I am not sure what you mean!

As far as I am aware I did not send a private message!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,203 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Mar-2009, 01:50 PM #4
On the machine that the printer is connected, go to Start, Printers, and right click the printer and the select sharing.
This will open the sharing pane, type in a Name for the printer and make sure there is a check mark in the "Share this printer" box, and OK yourself out.

Now you should be able to do the other sharing settings.

As for the AV program, Most computers come with a 30-90 trial version of one. Several OEM's will load Norton's or McAfee on the machines when they are built.

05-Mar-2009, 04:39 PM #5
Dave,
I have spent the bestpart of the last 2 hours trying to sort this and I am getting deeper in the mire!

First lets clear up AV. I undersatand this as Audio Visual. I know understand you mean Anti Virus. Yes I have McAfee but am using windows firewall.

I have tried your suggestion regards Printer Sharing but I seem to be hitting a brick wall. I have been getting a window message saying the printer is not installed. But it is and I have now installed it a second time. One problem I was having was the Share Name. I have now sorted that.

But I am not making any progress with the driver. It keeps asking for hp deskjet 5550 series, x86, type3 user mode. But I do not seem to have it on my disk and I dont seem to be able to locate a copy.

I am going to have to stop here for today, I will take it up again in the morning.

Thanks for your help.
Graham (20.40 gmt, Shropshire England)

06-Mar-2009, 11:24 AM #6
Well I am making no progress.

I have reinstalled my printer software from the origial disk and also from the web but still no success.

My printer icon shows "hp deskjet 5550 series (HPA)" but when I try to Change the Sharing Options I get hp deskjet 5550 series (HPA) is not installed on this computer. Some print properties will not be accessible unless you install the print driver. Do you want to install - YES"

But I have installed again and again but still no change.
Sometimes I get Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be complete (error 0x000000cb)

07-Apr-2009, 02:19 PM #7
I gave up and reverted to using my laptop to print.

After 3, 4 weeks I tried changing the sharing setting on Vista and EUREKA it works. Don't know how or why but it works! Have since successfully set up my network printer
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
file sharing, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!