Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't register dll, entry point not found

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

07-Mar-2009, 04:45 PM #1
Can't register dll, entry point not found
I'm running Vista Ultamate on a custom built desktop (can provide speccs if needed).

Recently my apartment complex switched from a wired connection to a wireless one. I got a wireless card, installed it, no problem. Still can't see any wireless networks. After doing everything google suggests I found out that my Wlan auto config service won't start. I took ownership of the fire, can delete, modify, all that to it now. I have tried replacing it in case it was corrupt.

When I tried to register it via regsvr32 it gives me the error "entry point not found"

I'm hoping to not have to do a reinstall or repair install. Any ideas on what to do?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
07-Mar-2009, 05:37 PM #2
Services are pretty sensitive to permissions issues for security reasons and it's not wise to change anything.

The WLAN service is a service and as such has many files associated with it, but no single one that causes it to "run". I can't imagine what file you are referring to, but many, if not most, dll's (if that is what you have) are not self-registering and can't be registered with regsvr32.

Can you explian in detail what you did, changed, and replaced?

07-Mar-2009, 07:09 PM #3
The dll file I'm referring to is the wlancfg.dll file.
So far what I've tried is:

Starting the wireless lan auto config service. Windows told me that the "class was not registered."

I then did some google serarching and the main thing that was suggested was to replace the wlancfg.dll file as it might have been corrupted. I have a zune and I was seeing where v2.0 of the software had a chance of corrupting that file.

I then had to take control of the file via comand prompt. I can now do anything I want to to that dll.

I took a working wlancfg.dll from another vista computer (the laptop I'm on right now now) and replaced my orginal file with it (renamed the orginal to wlancfg_bak first).

The wireless service still will not start. More googling suggested to register it via regsrv32. Tried that and was told that the "entry point cannot be found."
Computer Specs

07-Mar-2009, 07:11 PM #4
Was it exactly the same version and service pack level on the other machine?

What error do you get when you try to start the service? Just "class not registered"? What does the Event Viewer say about the error?

Try restoring the registry entries for the service with the attached.

That service depends on 4 others. Are they intact?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Wlansvc.zip (1.3 KB, 164 views)

07-Mar-2009, 08:27 PM #5
the error message is:
"windows could not start the WLAN auto config service on Local Computer.
Error 0x80040154: Class not registered."

Event Viewer says "WLAN AutoConfig service has failed to start. Error Code: 2147746132."
(I hope that is what you wanted to know, I've never used that before so I don't know what is relevent and what isn't.)

I applied that registry patch and it's still giving me the same error.

What are the other 4 services so that I can take a look at them? Sorry, this is getting into stuff that is more than a bit over my head.
Computer Specs

08-Mar-2009, 12:45 AM #6
Look under the Dependencies tab in the WLAN service to see what other services need to be running.

Since the majority of services will not be found in the Services console, you might want to try the NT Services Manager which shows all of them and their state.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dll, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!