Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: The user profile service has failed my logon!

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

13-Mar-2009, 01:16 PM #1
Angry Solved: The user profile service has failed my logon!
Hi everyone, please help!!! I cannot log into my laptop under my username. I have an hp machine and use windows vista home premium. I was successfully logged on earlier in the day and i shut down as normal but when i started it up again later in the day and clicked on my username and enter my password i get the message "The User Profile Service has failed the logon. Page cannot be loaded". I have never seen this before and dont know what has happened. The other usernames on the laptop are working fine. My daughter can log on and im currently using the guest logon. However neither of these usernames need a password and i am the only administrator on the laptop. I cant reset my password either as i havent created a disc. Can this be fixed?
Member with 7,891 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Mar-2009, 04:03 PM #2
That user account is corrupt, log into one of the other user accounts and create a new user account, then migrate the old user data from the corrupt account to the new one you just created. This article is written for XP, but the procedure is the same for Vista.

Read this, scroll down to "Moving to a new user profile"

http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2004/1...-user-profile/

13-Mar-2009, 08:45 PM #3
I tried to create a new username while in the guest account and while in my daughters account but it wont let me as none of them have administrator settings, is there another way to create a new account?
Member with 7,891 posts.

13-Mar-2009, 09:32 PM #4
No, only from an admin account.

You can try a system restore from the Recovery Environment. Pick a date before the issue started.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial142.html
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
13-Mar-2009, 09:32 PM #5
You need to be logged in as an administrator to create new accounts, You can then copy your profile to the new account.

On the logon page, try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del twice, and then signing in as "Administrator" and using the password for the Administrator's account, or a blank if none was assigned.

If you have an XP CD, you might want to try running chkdsk /p from the Recovery Console first in case it is a simple disk error.

13-Mar-2009, 10:00 PM #6
Thank you for your help guys!! The system restore worked! Couldnt have done it without you!
Member with 7,891 posts.

14-Mar-2009, 08:37 AM #7
You are welcome shinygirl.

Welcome to TSGF.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
administrator, logon failure, logon problems, profile, user

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!