Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Deleted HP Recovery Partition, Need it back

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Advanced, Quick Learner
16-Mar-2009, 01:11 AM #1
Solved: Deleted HP Recovery Partition, Need it back
Preface:
I have an external hard drive and i attempted to install XP on it, using my Notebook. Before, my Notebook Recognized my Partition as the D drive and the External hard drive as the F. I booted the XP disk, and all seemed well, until I realized my computer flipped my drives, and so I installed XP on the partition space and left the external hard drive untouched. No biggie. Vista still ran fine.

The Problem:
Few weeks later i cant update anything, (i.e. windows update, windows defender, norton, ad-aware etc.) but yet my internet browsing abilities were unaffected. I ran a google search and took a few steps to fix this but nothing (registry edit - HKEY editing, and services.msc editing, and some cmd commands) but nothing worked. Since my HP was still under warranty i contacted an HP rep, we did a few things, and he told me i was missing some system files and so i needed my recovery partition to fix this. I explained to him what happened, so he told me i was going to have to purchase the DVDs from HP and that i could not use a vista disk i had, since it was made for all vista models, and that i needed a manufactures recovery disk. I dont want to purchase the DVDs. Is there anything i can do to fix this, or somewhere i can get the DVD image(legally obcourse) to the HP Vista Disk.

P.S. When I attempt to run a windows update i get error Code 80244019

Thanks in advance

Last edited by lun7200; 16-Mar-2009 at 01:17 AM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
16-Mar-2009, 02:18 AM #2
You need to buy the disks from HP or go out and purchase a full version of an OS.

The disks that come with that machine are "customized" by HP and are not the standard version that MS makes. The MBR is HP's, the drivers are theirs, and they have made changes to the OS. Even the product keys belong to them and will not work on any other version of Windows except theirs. And the version is also specifc to that machine model.

If the recovery partition is gone, with all the Windows installation files, there is no getting it back except by using their DVD's.

Otherwise, you can wipe the whole system clean and buy your own version to install.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
16-Mar-2009, 05:52 AM #3
you r very wrong mister Elvandil
*** ADVICE REMOVED BY MODERATOR because your words were so garbled I couldn't determine whether your advice was illegal or just incorrect. ***

Last edited by TerryNet; 16-Mar-2009 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: Advising illegal activity, I think.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,441 posts.

16-Mar-2009, 08:00 AM #4
I've never seen Elvandil be wrong yet

Apparently, You didn't make your HP recovery DVDs yet.
See if you can still get to the HP tools and Burn your own Recovery DVDs

You will not be able to recover the Recovery partition .. or make the recovery DVDs ..
If the information in the recovery partition has been rewritten (written over)

HP recovery DVDs are much cheaper than a new OS version.
Replacing the OS will not recover the recovery partition ..
It will not restore the HP supplied applications ...
And it WILL void the warranty

Last edited by Noyb; 16-Mar-2009 at 08:06 AM..
Computer Specs

16-Mar-2009, 08:14 AM #5
Ok, one of my friends has an HP notebook, he purchased it around the same time as me, and he also runs vista, if we both have Vista Home Premium, can I just make a recovery dvd on his computer and run it on mine, or maybe partition my hard drive and just basically recreate his partition onto mine, using copy and paste?
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

16-Mar-2009, 08:16 AM #6
It's a long shot .. But Maybe .. as long as it's the exact same model number computer.
Copy - Paste is not an option.

But .. in one of my HP computers .. If I try to do an application recovery ..
and it can't find the recovery partition - Because I've removed it ..
It will ask for the recovery DVDs
Computer Specs

16-Mar-2009, 08:21 AM #7
I tried to make my own recovery disk but I need my partition to make the disks.

I know for a fact his HP model is different than mine. I mean shouldn't the recovery disks work for mine as well? His Vista looked like a mirror image of mine. Same programs and everything.
Computer Specs

16-Mar-2009, 08:35 AM #8
I doubt it .. the HP recoveries are married to the motherboard and the model number.

HP recovery DVDs are only in the $25 neighborhood .. Well worth the price
Computer Specs

16-Mar-2009, 08:40 AM #9
hmm, yeah that makes sense.
Well that seems like my only option.
Once i have my recovery disk, can i re-create my partition?
Computer Specs

16-Mar-2009, 08:48 AM #10
YES .. They will put your computer back to Brand New .. as shipped from HP

Why did you try to pt the OS on an external .. You can't do that - unless you can boot eSATA.
You can make a backup "Image" data file of any, or all partitions .. that can be used for recovery.

I use this method as my first order backup ..
The recovery DVDs are in case all fails .. or I want to go back to as Shipped from HP.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...ng-program.htm
Member with 204 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Mar-2009, 09:16 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaariadh View Post
you r very wrong mister Elvandil
*** ADVICE REMOVED BY MODERATOR because your words were so garbled I couldn't determine whether your advice was illegal or just incorrect. ***
I actually laughed so hard at this.
Computer Specs

16-Mar-2009, 09:24 AM #12
I thought I knew what alaariadh was trying to say ...
And it might have worked if the Recovery partition hadn't been corrupted and lun7200 had the extra hardware and software.
I would have welcomed alaariadh to the TSG forum .. if it hadn't been such a Rude post.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

16-Mar-2009, 10:33 AM #13
For future reference, it might be a good idea to create disk images of all partitions, including the recovery partition using Norton Ghost or another similar package soon after installation (I do this right after I have installed a security package and all Windows Updates and patches). In this way, you can quickly recover from any disaster without having to reinstall the O/S and download all of the updates again.
Computer Specs

16-Mar-2009, 10:39 AM #14
Welcome to the TSG forum .. And that's a very good procedure.
But Acronis True Image is probably more popular here at TSG ... than Ghost
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/
The trial DL is fully functional for 15 days
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

16-Mar-2009, 10:59 AM #15
Just curious for the benefit of other users - is there any reason (aside from cost) why your prefer Acronis to Ghost? My experience with Ghost 14 has been excellent (and since I already paid for it, I'm not going back now). The main thing is that it enables me to create full and incremental backups and to restore the image from a rescue CD.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!