Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: System Event Notification Service, failed to connect

(!)

burnabridge burnabridge is offline burnabridge has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Apr-2009, 11:12 AM #1
Solved: System Event Notification Service, failed to connect
I dug around quite a bit... I really hope this hasn't already been a thread...

"Failed to connect to a windows service.
Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."
This message comes with slow start up and shut downs that occasionally freeze. Another strange symptom is that sometimes (about every other time I boot up the computer) it loses the shiny-black Vista theme. Not so much a concern of aesthetic and more a note of wonkiness.

The laptop was sluggish recently and I was doing some cleaning: defrags, registry cleaning, virus/spyware scans, etc. I... have a theory my sweep with CCleaner may have done something it really shouldn't have. I'm unsure what to do about this if it is true though, because although I didn't delete them, all my restore points are gone. I also recently changed the virtual memory size, if that is relevant.

Also uncertain of relevancy, but the worst of it (Service message) began while I was toying around between Pidgin and Trillian. Trillian crashed... something. There are so many event logs now that I'm not able to figure out what it was

I'm really not as familiar with the workings of this computer as I wish I was, I'm really not certain about how to diagnos a problem from what I see I've also never really gone to a tech forum before: if you need more info you'll probably have to tell me how/where to get it.

It is an Inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista Home Premium 32, post SP-1/2, 1014 MB RAM and a 136 GB HDD. Also running AVG, Window's Defender is down, Firewall is on.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
10-Apr-2009, 11:51 AM #2
It sounds like a lot is going on. Have you tried a System Restore first, and then possibly sfc /scannow if that doesn't work

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...8b3551033.mspx

"Startup repair" is also an option.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html

Are you continuing to get the System Event Notification error after a reboot?

Are there any problems in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or in a "Clean Boot"? >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2009, 05:08 PM #3
Thank you for replying!

My initial reaction was a system restore, but all my restore points had disappeared. I was very careful *not* to delete them while cleaning up the computer, so I am uncertain what happened there.

I also did a sfc /scannow yesterday, it said there were errors but couldn't fix all of them. I am unfamiliar with the scan, if there is more I could have done with it, or information I should have gleaned from it etc

Today, I put in my Vista disc for Startup Repair, but that didn't change anything either.

The message appears with every start up, safe/clean etc.

As a side note, the computer has stopped recognizing AVG as virus protection within the security center.
Computer Specs

11-Apr-2009, 01:04 PM #4
Can you test to see if you have the "conflicker" worm?

Can you visit AVG to reinstall it or any major antivirus site?

You may need to find a removal tool; from a site not blocked.if you have it.

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4...?tag=mncol;txt

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...icker.mspx#ETE

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 11-Apr-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Computer Specs

12-Apr-2009, 04:31 PM #5
Mmm, did the tests, read up about the worm. I didn't have the update that was specific to it, installed that. That seemed to do a great deal for slowness involved in the shutdown.

However, it was uninstalling AVG that solved the issue with the notification and also slow start up.

So! Uh XD Thank you for helping me out, I learned a few things about looking at the signs the computer is giving me
Computer Specs

13-Apr-2009, 11:44 AM #6
Glad you got it worked out, I had a feeling that the message was related to a blocked or damaged antivirus -- That's one of the actions of some of these worms -- but other symptoms did not quite fit since the conflicker worm actually disables event log notifications as I understand it.
Email This Email  Print This Print  Add to Favorites Favorites  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
boot, shut down, system event notification, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!