Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

synaptics touchpad suddenly stops working

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

27-Apr-2009, 07:24 PM #1
synaptics touchpad suddenly stops working
I currently have a HP pavilion tx2520ae laptop and now and again whilst im am working on it i suddenly get the message 'synaptics touchpad has stopped working with two options saying : close and check for a problem online and close', after this message appears the touchpad still works, however the scroll bar for the laptop does not, this is an inconvenience as i do alot of my school portfolios on my laptop, some of which are nearly 100 pages long and i am constantly editing it, so i need the scroll bar to save me time and effort.

When i restart the laptop however this problem is corrected, but after a while it appears again and constantly restarting the laptop every 10 minutes is just too much effort to waste on fixing a simple scroll bar.

When the message appeared, I had tried to go onto the mouse options on the control pannel and i got an error message saying 'unable to connect to the synaptics pointing device driver. if you have installed another PS/2 pointing driver please unistall the synaptics driver by clicking on the yes button. you then need to reinstall your pointing divce driver for your external device again.
Do you want to unistall the synaptics driver now?'

I have not installed any PS/2 pointing drivers but I decided to try and reinstall it again just to be sure but when I reinstalled it i had to restart my computer and when i came back on it was working fine... for a while. The message appeared again and reinstalling it was just a complete waste of time seeing how i needed to restart my computer anyway. Any suggestion on how to fix it would my much appreciated.

flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,581 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Apr-2009, 11:53 PM #2
Personally, I hate using a laptop touchpad and prefer using an external scrolling optical mouse. I would think an external mouse would be easier and faster for you.

If you decide to use an external mouse, disable the startup entries for the Synaptics touchpad and then restart first. They will be the SynTP - - - entries in Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - "Startup" tab.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming that you meant tx2520ea and not "tx2520ae".

This is the current(10.2.4.0) Synaptics touchpad driver for it. If the Device Manager shows an older driver version for it, I'd install it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 27-Apr-2009 at 11:58 PM..
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-May-2009, 03:03 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
Personally, I hate using a laptop touchpad and prefer using an external scrolling optical mouse. I would think an external mouse would be easier and faster for you.

If you decide to use an external mouse, disable the startup entries for the Synaptics touchpad and then restart first. They will be the SynTP - - - entries in Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - "Startup" tab.

Why do you feel it necessary to give your "Personal" opinion on whats "easier" for somebody? The OP didn't ask your opinion. I was "Personally" looking for the exact same problem and found your "Personal" hate of touchpads instead.

Personally, I prefer the Synaptics touchpad over a mouse for a laptop. I have one less item to carry around and this one features auto scroll, palm ignore and other useful features not found in a mouse, plus it's silky smooth and works great with Photoshop.. Not so good for gaming though, crap in fact.

So, any idea how to restart the scrollers when they suddenly stop working, without rebooting the machine? Because using the "Reset Devices" button under the Synaptics tab in Mouse properties does not resolve the issue.
Senior Member with 3,852 posts.

25-May-2009, 05:05 PM #4
flavallee gave another option which may well help update the driver
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2009, 11:33 AM #5
I believe there is no need for hostility...

If you would like to keep your touchpad scroll function working just find out where your synaptics drivers are loaded from (C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP) look in this folder and find the SynTPEnh.exe. Click on it and ta da there ye be.

This worked for me and it may also work for you. If it keeps happening I would maybe try to find an older version of the driver, or put a shortcut link to that app on your desktop or something.

13-Jul-2009, 12:44 AM #6
Lightbulb It's a simple solution, just wasn't easy to find or figure out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sweep View Post
I believe there is no need for hostility...

If you would like to keep your touchpad scroll function working just find out where your synaptics drivers are loaded from (C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP) look in this folder and find the SynTPEnh.exe. Click on it and ta da there ye be.

This worked for me and it may also work for you. If it keeps happening I would maybe try to find an older version of the driver, or put a shortcut link to that app on your desktop or something.
I agree with Natez that it's annoying to be told to change your device, but also agree with Mr. Sweep that there's no need for hostility, even though flavellee's response did irritate me a lot when I first visited this forum a couple of months ago.

I came back because I FINALLY figured out how to correct the problem but Mr. Sweep beat me to it! This has been a pain since I got this computer about a year ago and it's so nice to have a solution that doesn't require a restart (or a new device ).

I'm using driver version 11.0.7.0 btw.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!