Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7 No Audio Output Device is Installed

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Pwner
06-May-2009, 07:01 PM #1
Windows 7 No Audio Output Device is Installed
So I dual booted Windows XP and Windows 7 today, and everything works fine except for the fact that I have no audio whatsoever. I attempted to install the drivers for my Sound card, but they kept popping up with a message saying the hardware was not detected on this system. I am running a modified Dell Dimension 4600. When I go to device manager, there is a yellow exclamation point next to Multimedia Audio Controller and PCI Input device. I have been trying to fix this for hours, but to no avail. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to anyone who takes their time to look at this.

Intel P4 Processor 2.4 GHz
2 GB Ram
Sound Blaster Live! Value - Sound card
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-May-2009, 07:17 PM #2
Did you download the latest Vista drivers from Creative labs? There is a huge difference in the way that XP and Vista handle sound controllers.
Computer Specs

06-May-2009, 07:22 PM #3
Yeah, I downloaded the latest drivers and it still came up with the message that the hardware wasn't detected even though it works perfect on XP.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-May-2009, 07:36 PM #4
Try installing the driver in safe mode. You will probably not be able to run an exe from safe mode, so you will need to point the system to the inf file location.
Computer Specs

06-May-2009, 07:40 PM #5
Alright, I'll attempt that tomorrow, thanks for the help, and if anyone else can help, it would be much appreciated.
Computer Specs

07-May-2009, 05:45 AM #6
I attempted the safe mode install, but it still didn't work. It popped up with the same error saying the hardware wasn't detected.
Computer Specs
Member with 232 posts.

07-May-2009, 01:00 PM #7
Just a thought naruto I have a sound blaster audigy 2 zs and tried installing both the xp drivers and then the vista drivers with exactly the same result, I also tried the original driver disk as well, and if I could get sound at all it was just stereo (I have a surround sound setup) so in desparation I uninstalled the drivers through the device manager so they were completely removed, and suddenly a message popped up to say that there was an important update available from microsoft so I followed that through and amongst a few other things it had a creative sound card driver, so I installed that and rebooted and now I have a working sound card with the ability to set up for surround sound and all works fine, and it cured the problem with the missing audio device.

Hope this helps

Last edited by edjon2000; 07-May-2009 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Typos
Computer Specs

07-May-2009, 02:05 PM #8
I'll try that if this solution doesn't work, I just took a different audio card from another one of my computers and switched it out with the Sound Blaster one. I'll post as soon as I can on whether or not it worked.
Computer Specs
Member with 232 posts.

07-May-2009, 02:16 PM #9
Ok, Good Luck
Computer Specs
Member with 199 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-May-2009, 02:20 PM #10
A lil kinda retarded question, but have you tried going simply with Microsoft driver? When I installed Win 7, I had the same issue. In the end, Microsfot driver worked the best for my Audigy card (not the same kind you have), LOL! How weird right?
Computer Specs

07-May-2009, 02:33 PM #11
What is this microsoft driver you're talking about?
Computer Specs

07-May-2009, 02:47 PM #12
Hurrah! The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card worked with the 4193 drivers, so to anyone who is having doubts, the Santa Cruz sound card does work on Windows 7. Thank you everyone who replied to my topic.
Computer Specs
Member with 159 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-May-2009, 04:51 PM #13
I was having the same problem. Spent hours on the net and other forums. Edjon2000 gave me the tip that eventually helped me solve the problem.

I had my Windows Updates set to only download the "Important" stuff. I rechecked my Windows Update and there were 4 updates related to my sound drivers in the "OPTIONAL" download category. I just let it download everything and now I have good sound.

Thanks edjon2000 & good luck to all
Computer Specs
Member with 199 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-May-2009, 04:52 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by narutokun91 View Post
What is this microsoft driver you're talking about?

When you add a hardware, Windows plug-and-play tries to automatically install a generic driver that connects th hardware to the operating system. that driver is a Microsoft driver. Sometimes, those drivers come as Windows optional updates as well after the device is installed on your coputer, and Microsoft recognizes the existance of the hardware.

For many soundcards, video cards etc, there are separate drivers made by the manufacturers of the devices, which are in general or most of the times better. But not always... I've had a sound card for which the manufacturer didn't produce a 64-bit driver, and Microsoft one was the only one that I could use, and it worked...
Computer Specs

07-May-2009, 05:01 PM #15
Microsoft couldn't find any drivers because it didn't recognize the Sound Blaster card. So there was no generic driver for it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!