Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

WDFLDR.SYS is corrupted or missing

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-May-2009, 09:40 PM #1
WDFLDR.SYS is corrupted or missing
Hello,

I am Jason and i recently encountered a problem on my vista home premium machine (I'm running home premium, 2 gb ram, pentium 4, and 6800gt video card/audigy 2 zs sound card) in which i get an error message at boot with these details:

Error code: 0xc0000221

File: WDFLDR.SYS

Windows has failed to start because a required system file is corrupted, or missing.

No new hardware changes were made, no software installed, just randomly, it happened. I did use Auslogics Registry defrag/cleaner and CCleaner shortly before this happened, but i don't think that would cause a problem. I have googled it but other threads about it were not useful. I guess that the problem is not widespread enough for many people to have gotten it and reported it.

- I can't get into Vista in normal or safe mode with any of the options in the boot menu.
- I CAN access my files on the vista hard drive through another operating system (XP) on my computer.
- I tried replacing the file from another vista machine, but it says i do not have permission to edit the file.
- I can't use System Restore from the vista cd because it says i have no restore points.
- I tried using the Repair Computer feature in the vista cd but that has failed every time.
- I can't run SFC/ scannow from the cd because it says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the request operation."

Thank you so much!!

Last edited by MikeDanDave75; 16-May-2009 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: clarity
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

17-May-2009, 12:38 PM #2
Bumping for a quicker response
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

18-May-2009, 06:41 AM #3
Bumping for response.
Senior Member with 3,852 posts.

18-May-2009, 03:13 PM #4
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

18-May-2009, 07:27 PM #5
Hi joeten,

I have tried that many times and the Vista CD repair feature is completely unable to fix anything. System restore does not cure the problem.

I am thinking that a registry cleaner program i used might have corrupted something...

18-May-2009, 07:31 PM #6
hi so if nothing works from there then reinstall seems the most likely way to resolve this if you have files you need you can use a linux distro like ubuntu live cd mode to transfer them to a usb device
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

18-May-2009, 07:37 PM #7
I have all of my files on a hard drive backed up, so that is not the problem. I just have a lot of program settings installed that will take a long time to redo, and am trying to avoid having to reinstall if possible!

18-May-2009, 07:39 PM #8
hi have you reset the boot order to boot from cd/dvd and retry repair
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

18-May-2009, 07:41 PM #9
Yeah. I have tried to repair from the Vista CD so many times, each with failure. System restore doesn't work and the repair can't fix the broken file.

18-May-2009, 07:45 PM #10
what about taking a dig around the disc and locate the file and see if you can add it manually
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

18-May-2009, 07:54 PM #11
I am going to try that now... however, my XP install won't let me access/modify the files and i have no way of enabling my Vista admin privileges through XP.

18-May-2009, 07:59 PM #12
hmm not got anything to suggest at this point. just curious did you have sp1 installed on vista
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

18-May-2009, 08:04 PM #13
Yes, I did.

18-May-2009, 08:13 PM #14
hi i think that may be the problem iam not 100% on this proceedure but in the recovery console i believe you need to choose repair install if need be look for threads by rollin rog i know he has posted info on this before

18-May-2009, 09:09 PM #15
hi forget that last bit it is not repair install it is the upgrade install you need to choose to get past sp1 http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html please read down the page this is the best option i can find sorry about the mix up
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!