Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Backing up and restoring systems help please

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-May-2009, 06:04 AM #1
Backing up and restoring systems help please
Hi, I have an HP A6430f and my D drive is full, it is the recovery drive. My whole computer is a mess and HP said that I could send it in even though it is out of warranty but before I do that I was thinking I should do a systems restore back to factory and then re-add my programs and see if this fixes the problems. It has not downloaded all the windows updates and there are a lot of error messages so I thought that if I could just backup the full programs that I have downloaded from places like giveaway of the day that I don't want to loose and then just reinstall the others that I have the licenses for that starting from scratch was better then waiting on them at HP, 7 days to have my computer, and then having to restore my programs anyways... that this might solve my problems. So where to begin and how. Can someone tell me the best way to do this. I have Vista Home Premium and can not do it from the backup options that I have. I do have an external hard drive to backup to but no imaging software... Please help....
Account Disabled with 262 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-May-2009, 06:31 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachinmoney View Post
I was thinking I should do a systems restore back to factory and then re-add my programs and see if this fixes the problems. It has not downloaded all the windows updates and there are a lot of error messages so I thought that if I could just backup the full programs that I have downloaded from places like giveaway of the day . So where to begin and how. Can someone tell me the best way to do this. I have Vista Home Premium and can not do it from the backup options that I have. I do have an external hard drive to backup to but no imaging software... Please help....
No matter what, you should have all your programs on your external and burned to CD/DVD to. Don't know why you can't install all your critical windows updates What kind of error messages are you getting ??
Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

29-May-2009, 06:34 AM #3
Thanks for answering, let me go to that computer and I can show you....
Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

29-May-2009, 06:48 AM #4
It all started with a virus or Trojan that I think I got rid of but found out that my son had been downloading things from the sites like rapidshare.com. So now I have a lot of things that just hang, and say not responding..... then my photoshop 6.0 program disappeared and I can not install it again even if I do the uninstall and all of the other types of cleaning... so I decided to run some tests and I ran this, Diagnostic Results [IMG]res://wdc.dll/contents.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]res://wdc.dll/collapse.gif[/IMG]

Warnings [IMG]res://wdc.dll/collapse.gif[/IMG]

Error
Symptom: [IMG]res://wdc.dll/error.gif[/IMG]
A service is reported as having an unexpected error code
Cause: One or more services has failed. The service did not stop gracefully, suggesting the service may have crashed or one of its components stopped in an unsupported way. Details: Service exited with code not equal to 0 or 1077 Resolution: Restart the service Related: Performance Diagnosis Symptom: [IMG]res://wdc.dll/error.gif[/IMG]
Device is disabled.
Cause: A device is disabled preventing it from working properly. Details: The device, Officejet Pro L7700, is disabled. If this device is no longer used it may be intentionally disabled. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\MULTIFUNCTION\0000. Resolution: 1. Determine if you need the device.
2. If you need the device, enable it in Device Manager.
3. If you do not use the device it can be left disabled. Related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager
Manage Devices in Windows Symptom: [IMG]res://wdc.dll/error.gif[/IMG]
Device is disabled.
Cause: A device is disabled preventing it from working properly. Details: The device, Officejet Pro L7700, is disabled. If this device is no longer used it may be intentionally disabled. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\PRINTER\0000. Resolution: 1. Determine if you need the device.
3. If you do not use the device it can be left disabled. Related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager
Failure using the VxD loader.
Cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly. Details: The device, Compact Flash , is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr19". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is WPDBUSENUMROOT\UMB\2-37C186B-2-STORAGE#VOLUME#1-19F7E59C-0-_??_USBSTOR#DISK-VEN_GENERIC--PROD_COMPACT_FLASH-REV_1.00#20021111153705700-0#. Resolution: 1. Verify the correct driver is installed.
2. Try updating the drivers using Windows Update.
3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
4. Attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the device using Device Manager. Related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager
Device is disabled.
Cause: A device is disabled preventing it from working properly. Details: The device, Nokia Windows Portable Device Driver, is disabled. If this device is no longer used it may be intentionally disabled. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\WPD\0000. Resolution: 1. Determine if you need the device.
Device is disabled.
Cause: A device is disabled preventing it from working properly. Details: The device, Nokia Windows Portable Device Driver, is disabled. If this device is no longer used it may be intentionally disabled. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\WPD\0001. Resolution: 1. Determine if you need the device.
Device is disabled.
Cause: A device is disabled preventing it from working properly. Details: The device, Nokia N95, is disabled. If this device is no longer used it may be intentionally disabled. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\WPD\0002. Resolution: 1. Determine if you need the device.
Manage Devices in Windows Warning
Severity: [IMG]res://wdc.dll/info.gif[/IMG]
Informational
Symptom: Missing Events in Event Log Details: Investigate why 14% (5,097) events were lost during data collection. The settings for Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) maximum buffers and buffer size may not be optimal depending on which data sets are being collected. Related: Event Tracing for Windows Informational
Symptom: [IMG]res://wdc.dll/info.gif[/IMG]
D: has less than 15% free disk space
Cause: A logical disk has a low amount of free disk space. Details: D: has 78 MB free disk space. There is 1% free. Low disk space may cause poor performance and low virtual memory errors Resolution: 1. Verify disk space is low by viewing the drive using "Computer" from the Start menu.
2. Back up non-critical files and then remove them from the drive.
3. Perform a disk cleanup. Related: Free up disk space Symptom: [IMG]res://wdc.dll/info.gif[/IMG]
The Security Center has not recorded an anti-virus product.
Cause: The Security Center is unable to identify an active anti-virus application. Either there is no anti-virus product installed or it is not recognized. Resolution: 1. Verify that an anti-virus product is installed.
2. If an anti-virus product is installed and functioning configure Security Center to stop monitoring anti-virus status. Related: Anti-virus Basic System Checks

Tests Result Description [IMG]res://wdc.dll/open.gif[/IMG]

OS Checks [IMG]res://wdc.dll/green.gif[/IMG]
Passed Checks for attributes of the operating system Test Groups Tests Failed Description OS Version Check 1 0 Passed [IMG]res://wdc.dll/open.gif[/IMG]

Disk Checks [IMG]res://wdc.dll/red.gif[/IMG]
Failed Checks for disk status Test Groups Tests Failed Description SMART Predict Failure Check 1 0 Passed Logical Disk Dirty Bit Check 1 0 Passed Free Disk Space Available C: 1 0 Drive C: has 61% free disk space [180354 MB] Free Disk Space Available D: 1 1 Drive D: has 1% free disk space [78 MB] Free Disk Space Available E: 1 0 Drive E: has 100% free disk space [305127 MB] Free Disk Space Available G: 1 0 Drive G: has 64% free disk space [300576 MB] Free Disk Space Available H: 1 0 Drive H: has 74% free disk space [225137 MB] [IMG]res://wdc.dll/open.gif[/IMG]

Security Center Tests [IMG]res://wdc.dll/green.gif[/IMG]
Passed Checks for state of Security Center related information. Test Groups Tests Failed Description Check that Anti-Spyware Product is up-to-date. 1 0 Passed Check for Anti-Spyware Product that is enabled. 1 0 Passed User Account Control Enabled Check 1 0 Passed Windows Update Enabled Check 1 0 Passed [IMG]res://wdc.dll/open.gif[/IMG]

System Service Checks [IMG]res://wdc.dll/red.gif[/IMG]
Failed Checks for state of system services Test Groups Tests Failed Description Abnormally Terminated Services Check 1 1 Failed Workstation Service Check 1 0 Passed [IMG]res://wdc.dll/open.gif[/IMG]

Hardware Device and Driver Checks [IMG]res://wdc.dll/red.gif[/IMG]
Failed Survey of Windows Management Infrastructure supported devices. Test Groups Tests Failed Description Controller Device Configured Fail Count 15 0 Controller devices. Controller Device Status Fail Count 15 0 Controller devices. Cooling Configured Fail Count 0 0 Cooling devices. Cooling Status Fail Count 0 0 Cooling devices. Input Configured Fail Count 2 0 Input devices. Input Status Fail Count 2 0 Input devices. Memory Device Configured Fail Count 81 0 Memory devices. Memory Device Status Fail Count 81 0 Memory devices. Motherboard Device Configured Fail Count 11 0 Motherboard devices. Motherboard Device Status Fail Count 11 0 Motherboard devices. Network Configured Fail Count 12 0 Network devices. Network Status Fail Count 12 0 Network devices. Port Device Configured Fail Count 55 0 Port devices. Port Device Status Fail Count 55 0 Port devices. Power Device Configured Fail Count 0 0 Power devices. Power Device Status Fail Count 0 0 Power devices. Printing Device Configured Fail Count 9 0 Printing devices. Printing Device Status Fail Count 9 0 Printing devices. Video Device Configured Fail Count 4 0 Video devices. Video Device Status Fail Count 4 0 Video devices. PlugAndPlay Device Configured Fail Count 179 6 PlugAndPlay devices. PlugAndPlay Device Status Fail Count 179 0 PlugAndPlay devices.
Performance [IMG]res://wdc.dll/collapse.gif[/IMG]

Resouce Overview
Component Status Utilization Details CPU [IMG]res://wdc.dll/green.gif[/IMG]
Idle 14 % Low CPU load. Network [IMG]res://wdc.dll/green.gif[/IMG]
Idle 0 % Busiest network adapter is less than 15%. [IMG]res://wdc.dll/note.gif[/IMG]

Nic NVIDIA nForce 10_100 Mbps Ethernet using 2,376 bits and has 100,000,000 bits capacity.
Disk [IMG]res://wdc.dll/green.gif[/IMG]
Idle 39 /sec Disk I/O is less than 100 (read/write) per second on disk 0. [IMG]res://wdc.dll/note.gif[/IMG]

Reads 24.4/sec + Writes 14.6/sec
Memory [IMG]res://wdc.dll/green.gif[/IMG]
Normal 43 % 1673 MB Available.

This is a refurbished HP and it blew up after having it for only 2 months and when I got it back there were still problems and I tried to work with HP to fix them but I am and was training for my new job as an internet market researcher and have so much to learn that I could not spend anymore time on this issue. Well, now I feel that I have to fix this computer before it is a total loss.... so this is the direction I was going to take before sending it in.
Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

29-May-2009, 06:53 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jls242424 View Post
No matter what, you should have all your programs on your external and burned to CD/DVD to. Don't know why you can't install all your critical windows updates What kind of error messages are you getting ??
Also, my computer won't allow me to copy the programs when I do a backup. Do you know of any software that I could download on a trial basis that would allow me to do that. This is from Giveaway of the day today and I was looking at it because it has imaging software it looks like....
Giveaway of the Day - StarBurn v.12

29-May-2009, 07:15 AM #6
Quote:
Also, my computer won't allow me to copy the programs when I do a backup. Do you know of any software that I could download on a trial basis that would allow me to do that. This is from Giveaway of the day today and I was looking at it because it has imaging software it looks like....
Giveaway of the Day - StarBurn v.12
Yup, you've got quite a mess there. Keep the kids away from downloading http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticgee...ntal-controls/ Are you saying you can't even drop & drag your programs onto your external ?? and I'd reformat if it was mine.

Last edited by jls242424; 29-May-2009 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: added info
Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

29-May-2009, 07:48 AM #7
okay, how do I reformat? I am looking at burning the files onto disc's right now and then once I do that I am going to back up all of my documents and pictures etc. Then once I feel I have everything do a systems recovery, or whatever it's called. Install the disc's that take my computer back to what it was from the factory. As for the kids, they will never get on this computer again.
Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

29-May-2009, 07:50 AM #8
Will you help me to go along the way here? I have so much in my brain, I just need to do the basic's now and then if you can tell me how to reformat and hopefully after it's all said and done I can move forward with a better computer....

29-May-2009, 08:39 AM #9
Quote:
Will you help me to go along the way here? I have so much in my brain, I just need to do the basic's now and then if you can tell me how to reformat and hopefully after it's all said and done I can move forward with a better computer....
Once you've saved/backed up everything you think you'll want & need later then I assume you have a recovery disc. Just put in in and follow the prompts. You should be back to the original factory settings you had when you first bought your puter within a half hr or less. You'll have a better computer when you get rid of all the crap and not let others mess it up all over again.
Computer Specs
Member with 12 posts.

29-May-2009, 09:18 AM #10
I am doing the backup via memeo autoBackup and I think I selected the right things but what happens if it backs up systems files, things like sw settings and appData and other things like config files.... windows systems files that will already be on the computer in the recovery disc's... will it just bypass them? It was not the easiest program to use.... and it allowed for a restore file to be backup up so that I can restore the backup I assume...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!