Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how can I create junction points in windows 7/vista when I have non-empty folders?

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 606 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
29-May-2009, 04:41 PM #1
how can I create junction points in windows 7/vista when I have non-empty folders?
Hi guys,

I recently made the switch from XP to 7 (bypassed vista .. yessss).

I am trying to move certain folders off the system partition (c to another partition (d and am having difficulty.

I thought the best way to do this would be to use JUNCTIONS. This way, any references or hard-coding to the original path will not be affected.

For example, if you type in command prompt, junction c:\users d:\users

It will make c:\users a junction to the target folder d:\users. in other words, all the data willl really exist in d:\users, but any references to c:\users will still work and simply redirectly to d;\users.

The problem I am having is that, you can only use the junction command when the source folder is EMPTY. For example, in the above command, c:\users MUST be empty or the command will not work.

Thus what I wanted to do is copy the entire c:\users folder to d:\users and then delete everything in c:\users and create the junction.

Unfortunately I cannot delete certain files, no matter what I try. I've tried safe mode, tried using "unlocker" and even using a linux live cd (which causes corruption when writing to NTFS due to bad drivers).

I also wanted to do the same for Program Files and ProgramData folders, but those as well are impossible to completely empty.

If anyone knows how I can empty these folders, please help me! Junctions are a very elegant solution, but unfortunately only work when the source folder is empty.

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
29-May-2009, 05:29 PM #2
First of all, hard links need to be to files and folders inside the same partition and can't be created across partitions. You may have better luck with other types of symbolic links, but they will not work as well as hard links and you may end up with duplication instead of repalcement of most of them (though they can have differing contents).

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-6177180.html

"Junction" is not a Windows command. Maybe you are thinking of "mklink".

For most user folders, it would be far easier to simply change the locations of the shell folders in the registry.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 606 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
29-May-2009, 06:00 PM #3
Hi Elv..

Junction was a small app I downloaded and put in the system32 (and then run junction command)...

I tried editing the profilelist in the registry to achieve what I am trying to do, but I would always get profile loading errors and it never worked. I though junctions would be easier than to edit every reference of "c:\users" in the registry.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!