Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to reset graphics card settings without seeing a thing?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jul-2009, 04:55 PM #1
Question How to reset graphics card settings without seeing a thing?
I noticed that my computer has two graphics cards: Ati Radeon HD 3850 (With wich the pc system was advertised with) and a mysterious Ati radeon HD 3200. But, I also noticed that my system was using this 3200 one, wich is less "powerful" than the 3850 model.
So, I checked out ati catalyst settings and stuff and ended up deciding to disable the 3200 graphics card. I was expecting the other card to take over when I disable the older one, but seems that you can't really rely on logic with computers. Ending result was a black screen that I couln't just get up going again. I tried shutting down and restarting the computer with power switch, but the display receives no signal still. I can hear the starting sounds of windows, so the system starts fine just no video.
Now I would need some way to navigate to graphics card enabling button without the display.
Or some advices of what buttons to press in BIOS or whatever there is with Vista 64-bit when I can't see a thing of what I'm pressing.
Maybe a reset to factory settings option? If anyone can guide with this I would really appriciate. Like "press f2, then f9 and enter" or something.

Or is there any clever way to fix this easily?
I hope someone understood...English ain't my first language. Sorry for grammar.
Senior Member with 3,852 posts.

01-Jul-2009, 07:11 PM #2
hi you could try starting in safe mode
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...ef5a71033.mspx then fix things
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2009, 06:35 AM #3
I could if I knew what buttons to press after f8. That link doesn't provide that information. They assume I can see the options, such as "safe mode", but I can't see anything.
Computer Specs
Member with 249 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jul-2009, 06:43 AM #4
Turn your computer on, and start hitting F8 immediately and continuously (BEFORE windows boots up).

After the BIOS screen it will give you the option of "Safe mode", "Safe mode with networking", "Last good configuration" etc etc. You need to use the down arrow (or up) to select "Safe Mode" and press enter.

If you see the XP logo, it's too late - you need to hit F8 before that point.

Hope this helps.
Computer Specs

02-Jul-2009, 07:02 AM #5
Well, it doesn't but thanks for trying. As I can't literally see anything at any point it's hard to choose safe mode in BIOS screen.
Anyways, the computer is going for maintance as I get that for free. Hopefully with good results.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

02-Jul-2009, 08:09 AM #6
If you are trying to use an HDMI connection, that may not work in safe mode. Try the VGA instead to configure the graphics if such is the case.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,048 posts.

02-Jul-2009, 09:17 AM #7
This may sound odd but did you move the monitor connection cable from the "old" card to the "new" card?
Computer Specs
Member with 249 posts.

02-Jul-2009, 05:29 PM #8
If you disable the card in windows, it isn't going to be disabled outside windows (eg. bios etc)... so surely you should see something?

Alwwrmc sounds right... some kind of physical problem (eg not plugged in, plugged into the wrong card etc).

Just thinking out loud.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!