Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Microphone / speaker confusion in VISTA

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jul-2009, 01:21 AM #1
Question Microphone / speaker confusion in VISTA
System: HP Laptop G60, Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Problem is with playing sound. Sound plays correctly through headphones when headphones are plugged into headphone jack. When headphones are not plugged in, I expect sound to play on internal PC speakers, but it does not, I get no sound.

Strangely, when I accidentally plugged the headphones into the *microphone* jack instead of the headphone jack, the PC speakers suddenly turned on. And they turn off again when I disconnect from the microphone jack, reliably. Summary:

if headphones are plugged into headphone output jack: get sound on headphones
if headphones are plugged into microphone input jack: get sound on PC speakers
if headphones are not plugged in at all: no sound

Computer is about 2-3 months old. The sound was working correctly up until a few hours ago. Not sure what happened. Feels like some system setting got left in a funny state. Rebooting did not solve the problem. Ran various Microsoft diagnostics; they report that sound is working fine.

Help?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,255 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2009, 01:30 AM #2
Your microphone is most likely set for default sound operations in windows...

Type in sound on your search bar, click on it and change your settings...

Make the speakers your default devise...
Attached Thumbnails
Microphone / speaker confusion in VISTA-untitled.png  

Last edited by peck1234; 04-Jul-2009 at 01:39 AM..
Computer Specs

04-Jul-2009, 10:31 AM #3
I only have one device under "Playback", and it is the speakers. It has a green check mark and is labeled "working", so I presume it is already the default device. In any case, I don't have an item "Set as Default Communication Device" in the menu you show (although I have all the other items), and my "set default" button is grayed out.

Under the "recording" tab, I have only one device, the microphone, labeled "Conexant High Definition Smart Audio 221", the same as my speakers. I can have the microphone enabled or disabled; I get the same result either way.

Under "playback", "properties" there are various checkboxes for allowing applications to control the device; I have tried them various ways and I get the same result. Currently I have them all set to "default".
Computer Specs
Member with 1,255 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2009, 01:09 PM #4
then its prob ally your realtek settings... go to the bottom right of your pc and double click the orange sound icon...

There you can change the settings of what your microphone does when you plug it in...

Last edited by peck1234; 04-Jul-2009 at 01:47 PM..
Computer Specs

04-Jul-2009, 02:10 PM #5
I don't have realtek, I have conexant high def smartaudio 221.

There is a "SmartAudio" item under Control Panel. When I open that, there are some options for "enhancements" (which I have turned off), and "audio director" (which sounds promising, but I have it in the default "classic mode", and pressing "reset" doesn't seem to change anything). There doesn't seem to be anything useful with regard to microphones.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
microphone, sound, speaker, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!