Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hard Drive/freezing problems

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jul-2009, 01:02 AM #1
Hard Drive/freezing problems
For the past two weeks my computer VAIO VGN-CR190 running Vista Home Premium, 2 years old, has suddenly started freezing at random points. I had not made any hardware or software changes before it started. It is more likely to freeze when moved, but will freeze when not moved; when it freezes, the entire system is clearly dead (except the fan is still working), and I have to press the power button. Since then I have experimented. The computer does not freeze in safe mode; on occasion it will show the BSOD, but very rarely; the times when it freezes vary - sometimes it will freeze during startup, sometimes it will run for hours before freezing. I have also noticed that unless propped up at a certain angle, it will freeze during or just after startup, but when propped up it will run for at least a little time. Finally, as far as I can tell it only freezes when the hard drive is being accessed, and when it freezes the hard drive light goes out. Disk check shows no problems with the hard drive itself. My computer is under warranty, but before I send it back they insist on my performing a system recovery, which I don't really want to do if it can be solved without it, and if it's a hardware issue that isn't my hard drive I'd also like to avoid that.

Thanks for your help!
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

Experience: Einstein
08-Jul-2009, 02:15 PM #2
A piece of software or driver is causing it to freeze. Since you checked it in safe mode and it runs fine you have a reasonable assurence that it's not a hardware issue.

1. Try updating your drivers and running windows update.
2. Check for and remove apps you don't need that are running in the back ground.
3. Disable your AV

Between thoses 4 things you should find a solution.
Senior Member with 3,852 posts.

08-Jul-2009, 05:04 PM #3
hi try starting with a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Jul-2009, 06:33 PM #4
I would go "Run,msconfig,OK, Startup" and disable everything in startup. Then go into Windows and see if any freezes occur. If not slowly add entries back until you find the issue.
Computer Specs

16-Jul-2009, 08:46 AM #5
Sorry, my email didn't notify me I had responses
I tried safe mode again, and this time I jostled the computer a bit, because that had been causing the freezing in normal mode. And sure enough, it froze. Could that possibly be a software issue? The hard drive seems to be working just fine, when it works - what else might be the problem?

16-Jul-2009, 10:42 AM #6
hi i honestly think you may have a loose connection
Computer Specs

16-Jul-2009, 09:55 PM #7
If that's my problem, is there anything I can do or should I send it back?

17-Jul-2009, 02:33 PM #8
if it is under warranty you could try it
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
freezing, hard drive, sony vaio, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!