Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My D drive is gone. What happened?

(!)

Junior Member with 17 posts.

07-Jul-2009, 02:14 AM #1
My D drive is gone. What happened?
Prior to using my Acer recovery disk I had a C and D drive. Now that the D drive is gone is there a way to get it back? Why did it disappear?
Computer Specs
Member with 118 posts.

Experience: Always learning =]
07-Jul-2009, 03:14 AM #2
Firstly you should check if the drive is in the device manager.
It could also be that you haven't set up the partition making it being unused.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,059 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jul-2009, 08:11 AM #3
hello confused

is your C: as big as it should be? (C: & D: combined from before)

07-Jul-2009, 01:31 PM #4
Hello Kenny1111,
It looks like the C and D drive have been combined becaused the C drive has twice the amount of space.

07-Jul-2009, 01:33 PM #5
How doe I check the device mgr? How do I set up the partition? I didn't think it would be affected by the recovery disk since there was nothing stored on that drive.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,059 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jul-2009, 01:39 PM #6
there is a way to create a new partition and name it D: i am not sure how to do it.
see if this explains it well enough for you. if not someone else can.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95...partition.html

good luck
Senior Member with 1,249 posts.

Experience: Useless
07-Jul-2009, 05:49 PM #7
You never said what type of drive is missing. I will assume you mean hard drive.

Hard drives are partitioned in the Disk Management snap-in of the Microsoft Management Console. To open Disk Management, right click Computer and select Manage. In the left column, expand the Storage node and select Disk Management.

Now, are you trying to partition one physical drive or multiple? How many hard drives do you see in the graphical display and what are their labels? (ie: Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 2 ...) The next steps depend on your reply.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Jul-2009, 11:43 PM #8
That's interesting that the Acer recovery disc did not maintain the original system and data partitions. Since you say that there was no data on the partition anyway you may prefer to have your drive configured the way it is now. There is no reason to restore the parttions to the way they were unless you have a certain organizational need or some other methodology for management that would make it useful.
Senior Member with 1,249 posts.

Experience: Useless
08-Jul-2009, 06:43 AM #9
fairnooks, I think you misunderstood what was said. Leungwk01 said that the D drive is gone AFTER using the disk. Likely it did restore everything to its original state -- which was one physical drive with one partition.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Jul-2009, 11:40 PM #10
Every Acer I've ever purchased (5, 6?) has one drive split down the middle, half going to the system and image partitions and the other half to "data." Its a good concept (as far as I'm concerned) but can be confusing since no accounts can be set up at the factory to use the data partition since no accounts are created until the new owner uses/creates one and of course that will be maintained on the system partition unless specified to do otherwise.

So the original state should have been as specified above for an Acer system but if it wasn't, as the OP specified, and the system is working fine, it may be better to leave it that way since the OP also specified that the D partition hadn't been used at all.

But, if theconfusedone wants it back the way it was, we can certainly help with that as well.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!