Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

C:/PROGRA~1\Java\jre6\bin\ssvagent.exe ERROR

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Jul-2009, 12:20 AM #1
Unhappy C:/PROGRA~1\Java\jre6\bin\ssvagent.exe ERROR
Hi Guys,

Need some help.

I have a HP Pavilion laptop with the Windows Vista installed in it. When I bought the laptop about 2 years back, it came with a pre-installed Norton Antivirus software with updates for 1 year.

Since its more than 1 year, Norton Antivirus stopped downloading the updates, but I had still kept the antivirus on my laptop. A few days back I thought of uninstalling the Antivirus, since I had no intentions of renewing it and instead was planning to install one of the free antivirus softwares like Avast or AVG.

But while I was uninstalling the Norton Antivirus, my laptop kinda hung and hence I switched it off directly. When I started it again, it rebooted properly, but suddenly it stopped recognizing a few applications. Like Google Updater, Windows Media Player Classic, etc.

When I try to open up Window Media Player Classic, for eg., I get the error message "C:Program Files\K-Lite Codec Pack\Media Player Classic\mplayerc.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

And I am logged in as an administrator, so ideally I should have full access to all sections of my drive.

I think I made a mistake by switching off the laptop midway, while Norton was uninstalling. Can someone please help me with this error message.

I believe, some of my settings might have changed due to which I am not able to open up a few of my applications
Senior Member with 940 posts.

08-Jul-2009, 12:57 AM #2
Have you tried on reinstalling the codecs of the Media player?
Computer Specs

08-Jul-2009, 04:51 AM #3
Hi Casper,

Thanks for your quick response. Its jus that I dont think the reinstalling of the codecs would work. Or maybe it might work, but then only Windows Media Player will start working fine. Vista is basically not letting me open almost 85-90% of the applications from C\Program Files.

Let me give you a list of all the applications that Vista as of now is not recognising

Java
MobileMe
Smart Audio
AVG Free 8.5
Conexant HD Audio
DivX Codec
DivX Converter
DivX Player
DivX Plus DirectShow Filters
Download Accelerator Plus
Folder Lock
Google Desktop
Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer
Google Updater
Graboid Video 1.2
Hauppauge Win TV
Hauppauge Win TV Remote
Hauppauge Win TV Scheduler
Hauppauge Win TV SoftPVR
HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem With SmartCP
HP PhotoSmart Essential 2.0
HP Quick Launch Buttons 6.20 B1
Nokia PC Suite
Picasa 3
Video Edit Magic 4.4
WinZip

These are a few applications which does not work, after the goof up I did.

Let me know ur comments
Senior Member with 1,249 posts.

Experience: Useless
08-Jul-2009, 07:02 AM #4
Log in as Administrator, insert your Vista install disk, open a command prompt and run sfc /scannow.

If this doesn't work, run Windows' Checkdisk utility. In the same command prompt, enter chkdsk /R.
Computer Specs

08-Jul-2009, 02:21 PM #5
Hey Curly,

Thanks for the response

My lappy actually came with the Windows Vista pre-installed, so I dont have a separate install disk as such. Is there any way I could perhaps create one, like a bootable one or something ?

I did try the 2nd option that u suggested...... though no luck there. These errors are still there :-(

08-Jul-2009, 11:51 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuriousmind View Post

I think I made a mistake by switching off the laptop midway, while Norton was uninstalling. Can someone please help me with this error message.

I believe, some of my settings might have changed due to which I am not able to open up a few of my applications
Possible a bad registry have occurred but still not sure have you tried to run a registry clean?
Computer Specs

09-Jul-2009, 04:13 AM #7
No, I haven't run the registry clean as yet. How do I do that ?

Just to keep you guys updated though

I am not able to download any files from the internet. I mean when I do try to, I get the option of saving the file and when I click ok, I can see that the file is getting downloaded (as in I can see the progress bar). But once it is downloaded, when I go to the location (and I generally save all my downloads on my desktop and either run or transfer it to the respective folders from there) the download is not there. Dunno.... wats happening.

Also last night, I booted my lappy in the Safe Mode and Vista recognised all the applications. Though I didn't get a chance to try and see if these applications run, but atleast their ICON was recognised by Vista. I am gonna try the safe mode option today again and let you guys know the result.
Computer Specs

09-Jul-2009, 06:56 AM #8
Hey Guys,

Just another update about my errors

When I am logged into Vista through my ID (which is also the administrator ID), I am not able to open Microsoft Excel. I get a similar error.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel

Then I logged off and logged back in in the Safe Mode and I was able to open up all my Excel worksheets without any problem.

10-Jul-2009, 12:22 AM #9
I think it's really is a registry problem. Check if you can download some thing if you go in safe mode with network connection.
Computer Specs

10-Jul-2009, 07:45 AM #10
Will try that and keep you updated. Thanks again Casper

13-Jul-2009, 01:00 AM #11
Well any time. Just update me for the further thing that have happened.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!