Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can I prevent people from deleting browsing history?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Aug-2009, 09:27 AM #1
Can I prevent people from deleting browsing history?
Hi!
Sometimes my computer randomly deletes all browsing history - I don't know if it does it on it's own or someone else is deleting it...
Does anybody know if it would be able to do it on its own, or can you please tell me how to disable the delete browsing history or at least give it a password.
I've read other places to look under gpedit.msc...but that doesn't come up when I search for it...so can you please tell me how I can access that or another way to do it?
Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
09-Aug-2009, 10:24 AM #2
You or someone else may have installed a cleaner such as "CCleaner" and set it to automatically delete history and cache on boot up.

Also, browser itself can be set to delete browsing history on closing or not to save it -- check to see that that is not the case.

Also look under "settings" in the same place to see how long you have it set to keep history.

In Internet Explorer open Tools > Internet Options and see that "delete browsing history" on exit is not checked.

If you think someone else is doing this, and others use your computer -- your User Account should be password protected so that noone else can log into it.

This is a good practice in any case.

You must configure this through User Accounts in the Control Panel. Be sure to make a password reset file and store it on a thumbdrive in case you forget it.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Aug-2009, 08:08 PM #3
I dont see an option for 'delete browsing history on exit' when i go to tools-internet options...and it is set to save for 40 days...
How can i tell if there is a CCleaner?
The only other person using the computer is my boyfriend; who is not tech savvy and barely knows how to log into his own email...
Do you know anything about this gpedit.msc that the other things said to use?
Thanks!
Senior Member with 1,249 posts.

Experience: Useless
09-Aug-2009, 09:24 PM #4
CCleaner is located at C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe by default. If that does not exist, try using the Windows Search feature for the application's executible file CCleaner.exe itself.

gpedit.msc is the Microsoft Management Console snap-in that is used to edit Group Policy.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
10-Aug-2009, 10:39 AM #5
Gpedit is only available on the Business and Ultimate editions of Vista I believe.

My guess here, pardon me, is that your boyfriend is deleting his own browsing history, which of course includes yours when he does it.

Your best bet if you want to let him use your computer is to create a separate account for him -- and do NOT give him administrative rights. Require a password for your own account.

IE8 also has a "stealth" privacy mode for browsing that is session specific, so you might want to aquaint him with that.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...d-privacy.aspx

I assumed you had IE when I replied, see attachement for location of "delete on exit"
Attached Thumbnails
Can I prevent people from deleting browsing history?-ie8toolsoptionsgeneral.jpg  
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
browsing history, gpedit.msc

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!