Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't change screen resolution after driver update.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Aug-2009, 05:14 PM #1
Can't change screen resolution after driver update.
i just went through and updated all drivers and now i can't change the screen resolution. it is stuck on 800 x 600. i have tried both the graphics card setting and the pc setting. i turn it all the way up it says its been changed but nothig happens. i have an O.K. computer (laptop) Asus G50 with Nvidia 9800m GS 512mb ram running vista home basic 64bit Intel Centrino 2. any helped will be greatly appreciated.
Junior Member with 19 posts.

09-Aug-2009, 05:18 PM #2
well im no expert but i had this problem once, i tried getting the drivers from nvidia's site, but they wern't working. So i went to the like manufactuer of my card's site. Which was elitegroup or ECS or something like that (it says it at the top of the graphics cards box) and got the drivers from there. Try that, it worked for me.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

09-Aug-2009, 06:58 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0535 View Post
well im no expert but i had this problem once, i tried getting the drivers from nvidia's site, but they wern't working. So i went to the like manufactuer of my card's site. Which was elitegroup or ECS or something like that (it says it at the top of the graphics cards box) and got the drivers from there. Try that, it worked for me.

hmm...well thanks for the suggestion but the driver update downloaded and installed flawlessly. i have been browsing forums for a couple of hours and tried everything everyone suggested and it has done no good. ASUS is bout to have a mad white boy on there hands.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,466 posts.

09-Aug-2009, 09:15 PM #4
Try rolling back to the previous Display driver.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

09-Aug-2009, 09:44 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Try rolling back to the previous Display driver.
do i have to restore entire system or is there a way to just restore that driver's version?
Junior Member with 19 posts.

10-Aug-2009, 06:18 AM #6
yeah thats what happened to me, they installed perfect so i thought it couldnt be the driver but it turns out it was, so try it if you havn't : )
Computer Specs

10-Aug-2009, 10:28 AM #7
In Device Manager right click on the Display adapter - Properties - Driver tab - Rollback Driver.
Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

10-Aug-2009, 10:05 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
In Device Manager right click on the Display adapter - Properties - Driver tab - Rollback Driver.
that fixed it. thanks. next question. why "update" a driver if it is gonna make things worse? i don't claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed but that seems stupid.
Computer Specs

11-Aug-2009, 09:09 AM #9
I always look for a driver update when having an issue with the device in question. Often look for an update when first installing something, especially a wireless adapter. Almost never update a driver when I'm satisfied with the device (don't fix what ain't broke).

For chipset and integrated device drivers you should download them from the PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site. Drivers for other devices you should get from the manufacturer's web site.

If you let Windows update or Device Manager or some "find drivers" utility do your updating you can count on having the type of trouble you just had.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!