Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Please help me "see" my music, documents, and pictures (Vista)

(!)

Junior Member with 15 posts.

14-Aug-2009, 11:50 PM #1
Solved: Please help me "see" my music, documents, and pictures (Vista)
I have Vista 32-bit Premium and have some issues. All of my pictures, documents, and music files are no longer showing in their respective directories. The only reason I know they aren't deleted is because the large folder sizes and file number are still correct.

I am not sure when this started, but it MAY be an issue due to use of RegistryBooster 2 awhile ago. I hadn't used it in awhile (had no problems then), but since I've read online that these programs can cause issues, I wonder if that was the culprit.

I've used system restore, but it only goes back to recent two weeks or so... not before I used RB2 (if that's the problem). I could use RB2 to restore my registry back to what it was when I last ran it, but I don't want to make my problem worse, especially if that isn't the problem.

I've read random threads at forums on gaining Admin permissions in my folders, but when I try to change the settings I am told 'Access is Denied' for the very files it is trying to open up for me. I think the settings to 'List Contents' ore off, but I can't figure out how to gain full access to turn all permissions on (they stay grayed out or won't stay checked).

Please help? Thank you.

Last edited by shauno; 15-Aug-2009 at 12:21 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

Experience: Getting it
15-Aug-2009, 09:07 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shauno View Post
The only reason I know they aren't deleted is because the large folder sizes and file number are still correct.
Back-up these folders before doing anything else, if you haven't already done so.

16-Aug-2009, 02:01 AM #3
I just realized some new info that may help you guys to help me. The problem did NOT start with the Reg cleaner app. It started when I shared my folder with my PlayStation 3 console over my home network.

To this day, I can still see and access all of my music and photos flawlessly with my PS3. I did something in the Media Player's settings to open up permissions back then, and have only now tried to use my PC to access those files, which is why I noticed this issue late.

The files and folders are hidden on the PC, and no amount of fiddling with the permissions have made the files reappear. Can anyone help me?
Senior Member with 1,249 posts.

Experience: Useless
16-Aug-2009, 10:11 AM #4
I know this sounds obvious, but it is always a good idea to check: Make sure that you are searching in the correct directory. Next, make sure that Hidden is not checked on the folder's properties.

I have never used a PS3, so help me out. How did you share the folder with your PS3? Can you browse it with the PS3? How do they appear? This may give us some hints as to what caused the problem and how to solve it.

16-Aug-2009, 12:34 PM #5
No theory is verboten.

Hidden is not checked. All of my documents, music, and pics have sat in their same, generic folders for years. The folders themselves say the file number and file size is as large as always, but entering the folders I can't see the files or sub-folders. Only the sample folder of music and pictures that comes with Vista are shown, plus my Amazon and iTunes folder of purchases. My document folder only shows my wife's folder.

Now that I think about it, I do believe that Vista is hiding stuff that I created/acquired from my days on XP (prior Spring 2007). My wife's document folder was made on Vista sometime ago, as were the iTunes and Amazon folders of purchases, and they show up on the PC. However, when using Windows Media Player on my PC, my old playlists allow me to hear my music on the PC without issue.

Back to the PS3, here's a pic off of the 'net that shows how its main display works. Everything is completely visual and done with icon selecting.

Here is a video that shows in general how I set up my PC to share with the PS3 over my wireless router, though I did not watch this vid until now.

Like it shows, I can see all of my media on my PC from my PS3's 'desktop' (called XMB) without issue. Hopefully some of the info helps to solve the mystery of the available but missing files.

16-Aug-2009, 12:54 PM #6
I watched the video, but could not make heads or tails out of it.

And I am a bit confused by what has been written so far.

You say that you can see the folders, but cannot see the files or sub-folders within them. What does that mean, exactly? You are prohibited from accessing the folders? If so, what error is given? Or do you mean that the folders appear blank, that nothing shows whatsoever? And you are having the trouble viewing the contents of the folders that are stored on a Windows system when logged onto that system?

16-Aug-2009, 01:29 PM #7
There is a main folder for each category: Documents, Videos, Pictures and Music. These are the same generic folders everyone with Vista uses on my C:\ drive. Inside these folders is all of my content, but 95% of the subfolders and files are not showing up to select and manage using the PC.

I go into 'Pictures' and literally it only shows the folder for sample pictures. Not my years of family pictures (in organized folders). Not my Wallpaper folder and Avatar folder. Just the folder that came with Vista. My PS3 is able to see all of the picture files and directories as described. BTW when I click in the sample folder on the PC, it says no files are found (the PS3 sees those files).

The PS3, over a wireless network, can see the videos, music and pictures on my PC. The image I posted above shows you the format the PS3 displays files... an icon with the file name. You can see basic stuff like file date creation and file size if you do the PS3's version of 'Properties" for each file, and that's it.

To view music files, I have to be in the Music section of the PS3. Same for the Video section and Picture section. There is no way to generically look through my PC directories with my PS3 unless it is into subfolders of the main categories. It is all very structured.

16-Aug-2009, 01:57 PM #8
Since the PS3 apparently cannot display the folder path of the files that it is viewing, my only guess is that you may be looking in the wrong directory on your Windows system.

Have you tried searching for those files with Vista, telling it to search everywhere and to include non-indexed, hidden, and system files?

Any chance those files are actually stored on the PS3 or a secondary drive?

Can the Vista machine see the PS3? Can it browse the PS3's contents?

16-Aug-2009, 02:48 PM #9
The files aren't on the PS3; there's an easy way on that system to differentiate.

On the PC, I just searched non-indexed in the Computer parent directory (above my two main drive partitions.). One of the missing songs pops up:

Filename: Basement Jaxx - Red Alert.mp3
Directory: Music(C:\Users\<my username>\Music)

That's progress! What next?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,446 posts.

16-Aug-2009, 03:40 PM #10
Don't know if or how this will help, but it may give more info. Open a Command Prompt and type

cd "C:\Users\<my username>\Music"
dir

where <my username> is your actual user account.

Does this do any better at showing the missing folders and files?

If so you can do

dir <one of those folder names>

to see the contents of that folder.

16-Aug-2009, 03:56 PM #11
That is the folder path of that particular file. Let's open that folder/directory in Windows Explorer.

Right-click the Start Orb and click Explore.
Windows Explorer opens
In the address bar a the top of the window, type in C:\Users\<your username>\Music, substituting <your username> with the actual account name given during the search and press Enter.

What do you see?

Last edited by Curly; 16-Aug-2009 at 04:02 PM..
Computer Specs

16-Aug-2009, 05:16 PM #12
It will be most interesting to see whether Windows Explorer and the DIR command give different results.

16-Aug-2009, 06:30 PM #13
For both of your suggestions, it only shows the few folders that it showed before. All of my content still won't pop up. I then did a search for all music files (non-indexed) and it returned info for all of my invisible files. They can be accessed, but opening up the containing folder shows nothing.
Computer Specs

16-Aug-2009, 06:49 PM #14
Small chance that this is an "eight dot three" issue, but easy enough to check.

8.3 Filename Support in Vista

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3 NameCreation

Change the value of the NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation to '0'

16-Aug-2009, 07:04 PM #15
I'm wondering if it is some kind of file info option I have checked wrong, or if it is my Admin account screwed up. I can see the files completely now, but only by searching from the parent directory.

Strangely though, when I click on the orb and see my user name and avatar pic from the Start menu, the picture is NOT the same one I used before. It is the orange flower pic, not the chess piece pic. I've never even gone to the Admin menu to change it since my computer was purchased.

I tried to change the avatar pic back to the chess piece, but it want stay saved. It tells me it works, but when I click the Start button it is still the orange flower avatar.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!