Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

System locking up after being idle

(!)

Junior Member with 16 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Sep-2009, 03:42 PM #1
System locking up after being idle
Hello fellow forumers,
I'm having quite a nasty problem here. And this time I've got really no clue as to what is causing it. o_O

I'll try to be as complete as I can about this..
Since about a week my laptop has been seizing up on me. At first this only happened when I left it idle for half a day or so but it's been increasing graduatly throughout the week up to the point that just now it started freezing up when I stared at the tv for about 10 mins.

The weird thing to me about it is that the processes start freezing up one by one when I try to access them. Sometimes I'm even able to do a thing or two in a program before it locks up, sometimes I dont even get to see my desktop and all I see is blackness.

The only thing that seems consequent about this situation is that whenever it ocurrs, even if explorer is not yet locked up or anything, I can never bring up the taskmanager and ctrl atl del wont work either (one time I tried it and I got a black screen with an error message that had text but meant practically nothing, part of the text even fell out of the box).

Anyway, I'm young but I've got quite some experiance with computers. But this is something I cant for the life of me figure out and it's bad because I'll need this laptop for class soon.

If anyone can be of any assistance in this, I sincerely thank them because I'm more then annoyed at this problem.

Thanks.
Senior Member with 3,852 posts.

02-Sep-2009, 04:41 PM #2
hi try running sfc /scnw http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...c-command.html you can also do a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 then star things one by one and see if you can track down the problem

03-Sep-2009, 08:58 AM #3
Thanks for enlightening me about sfc, I'm sure it'll come in handy some day. But now it found no integrity violations.
The clean boot thing is a bit hard to do, because of the nature of my problem.
Seeing as my problem only occurs after being idle for a (what seems to be) random period of time.

Please, if anyone could be of any further assistance, whatever this is, it looks like its eating away my computer. And I really need it. Its only about a year and a half old and I really need it for school!

Thanks in advance.

03-Sep-2009, 02:21 PM #4
hi try system restore to a time when it was working well

06-Sep-2009, 01:05 PM #5
Sadly, that too seems to have had no effect =/

I'm really at the end of my wits =(

06-Sep-2009, 02:14 PM #6
hi try running a repair from your install or recovery disc http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html

07-Sep-2009, 09:20 AM #7
Ugh, this is the second time I've been screwed over by hp because of the fact that they don't include recovery discs...
My windows vista came pre-installed on my system and the recovery is actually just a partition on my harddrive which I can only access using hp recovery software, through which I'm only able to re´nstall vista and so none of those other functions.
Thanks hp -.-
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,268 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Sep-2009, 11:01 AM #8
HP does give you a method to burn your own Vista recover DVD, or you can order a set from them for the model of machine that you have.

What do you mean by "which I can only access using hp recovery software, through which I'm only able to re´nstall vista and so none of those other functions."?

07-Sep-2009, 02:01 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
HP does give you a method to burn your own Vista recover DVD
Yes they do, only in my case they seem to have set me up with a dvd-writer that is incompatible with their software, at least that's what the errors said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
What do you mean by "which I can only access using hp recovery software, through which I'm only able to re´nstall vista and so none of those other functions."?
Well seeing as hp has my hands tied and will only let me access this recovery partition through their "recovery manager", I can't access vista's startup repair as I would using a normal recovery disc/partition.

The only options I have are to re´nstall my drivers, a bunch of their bloatware or completely re´nstall vista (which is something I've done already a month ago and really can't afford to do again now) =/
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 344 posts.

07-Sep-2009, 02:38 PM #10
I think the problem is you need to get all the stuff out and then reboot your computer.
2. there may be a virus coming out so can you give me your HJack stuff
3. the hp stuff I think reinstall this thing and try and look at the back.
4. what applications are trying to act as a sever?

07-Sep-2009, 03:13 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakey8 View Post
I think the problem is you need to get all the stuff out and then reboot your computer.
Yes I see your point, formatting is often the best solution but I've got alot going on atm and I really cant afford to do that now, even with decent backups.
Quote:
3. the hp stuff I think reinstall this thing and try and look at the back.
Sorry I dont quite get this.
Quote:
4. what applications are trying to act as a sever?
Well the only thing I could think of is mySQL but I threw that sh*t off even before my last format. Would there be another way to find out if any other app is acting as a server? As far as I know I have little to no network activity when idle, only svchost once in a while but god knows what service that might be..
Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

07-Sep-2009, 03:27 PM #12
Have you tried hitting F8 on boot? It will bring up the repair option, which you do not see on normal startups...
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 344 posts.

07-Sep-2009, 03:49 PM #13
sh*t it seems like im wrong

07-Sep-2009, 07:03 PM #14
ok this may help you with recovery issue http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

08-Sep-2009, 06:31 PM #15
Okay thanks I'll try as soon as I can.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!