Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Blue Screen Of Death Wont let me access safe mode

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

08-Sep-2009, 07:25 AM #1
Unhappy Solved: Blue Screen Of Death Wont let me access safe mode
Hello, Im running:
-Notebook Pc
-amd turion x2 dual-core mobile processor rm-72 (2.1ghz, 1mb L2 cache)
-webcam
-250gb (5400rpm) Hard Drive
-1204 mb ddr2 sdram (1 Dimm)
-LightScribe Super Multi 8x dvd+rw with double layer support
-ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics with shared graphics memory
-802.11 b/g WLAN
-5-in-1 digital media reader
-6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Problem:
Every time in turn on my computer a blue screen shows up for a few seconds real quick at start up, then it restarts the computer and does it again,I tried going to safe mode but same thing happens as well ,I tried pressing F8 for advance startup options but they did not help as well,Therefore i cannot repair my computer on safe mode because the blue screen shows up all the time... i tried checking diagnosis check for, Disk check, Start up check etc..
please help im really desperate on getting my files back...

Additional:
I tried inserting the OS cd to repair it, but once done loading it restarts the computer and goes back to the same loop again with the blue screen..., Im also using a laptop so it would be hard to change the different parts of the hardware pls help I would be very happy if you can find a solution for this problem
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
08-Sep-2009, 11:41 AM #2
In the "recovery environment" if you have tried all there is there (memory diagnostic, startup repair, system restore, chkdsk /r from the command prompt etc) you may be out of luck as far as saving this configuration.

When you ran the memory diagnostic -- did it report any errors? It can't fix them -- just tell you whether the ram looks good.

You can see what the BSOD says if you disable "automatically restart" from the F8 menu -- but I doubt it is going to tell you much.

I would remove any external devices such drives or wireless dongles that you might be using.

The personal data on the drive can still be recovered however -- by removing it and connecting it via an IDE to USB converter to another computer.

Something like this is what you would want >>

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-USB-DS.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

Your manual should tell you how to remove the drive -- it's a fairly easy procedure for replacement. You might want to try just reseating it for a test.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

09-Sep-2009, 04:09 AM #3
I'll see if i can be able to that, as for the memory diagnosis check, it was at 100% complete and did not report any problems.

I would also want to say that I am using a windows vista starter OS, some certain features that you might be telling me to do may not be available...
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

09-Sep-2009, 08:06 AM #4
Hi Again,
Recently I gave my laptop a break from about 1 week...
i have been able to gain access using safe mode (hurray ), but sometimes it wont let me access safemode...
I would ask what should i do next once it gives me access to safe mode??
A better way to stop the blue screen from appearing.
I am awaiting for a reply for further steps now that i can give me access to safe mode..
Computer Specs

09-Sep-2009, 11:37 AM #5
The first thing I would do from Safe Mode (try Safe Mode with Networking Support as well) is see what System Restore dates are available -- and if you have one that predates the problem -- try returning to it. System Restore should open when you run rstrui.exe

Also use that opportunity to let me look at the "minidumps" that should be created for the BSODs , you may want to get this done before the system restore >>

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Microsoft driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

If you do not see any minidumps, be sure you are not using any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. Also run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Make sure "small memory dump" is the one chosen under "write debugging information" and the location should be %systemroot%\minidump

----------------------------------------------------------------

Run eventvwr.msc and look at the System Log for repeating errors; if you see any "NTFS" errors -- chkdsk needs to be run on the drive. You can double click those errors to view the description and if you see anything repeating each day, see if you can copy it here.

http://www.windows-help-central.com/...ta-chkdsk.html

---------------------------------------------

Also if you can continue get into Safe Mode try setting up a "Clean Boot" and see if you can boot into "normal" mode that way >>

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique

First, restart in Safe Mode if necessary -- (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu) or Normal mode

Then:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 << written for Vista but apples equally to XP
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

10-Sep-2009, 05:19 AM #6
alright...
well i tried going back to safe mode but this time it sais
File "something something i forgot.sys or something"
Is missing or might be corrupted

I cant even access the os cd to repair the computer
cause it shows blue screen after it reads the files in the cd.

as for the BSOD it only shows a STOP: (0000000 000000 00000 00000 <numbers and stuff i forgot what they were and they show up real fast...)
Anyway im off to fix my laptop and bring it to a workshop :| sigh*...

Ill just mark this as solved, anyway thanks for all the help and effort you guys made.
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2009, 11:06 AM #7
Ok, good luck, I think they will probably save whatever personal data you want kept on the drive -- and perhaps do a clean install for you if you have the re-installation media
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
vista starter blue screen

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!