Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: BSOD! Please help.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Sep-2009, 05:53 PM #1
Solved: BSOD! Please help.
Hello, everyone. I hope someone here can help me, because I'm getting sick of these BSODs.

I received my first BSOD on 8/28 (0x0000000a). I then had three BSODs on 8/31 (0x0000003b, 0x0000003b, and 0x000000d1), two on 9/5 (0x0000001e and 0x0000003b), one on 9/9 (0x0000001e), one on 9/10 (0x0000001e), one on 9/19 (0x00000050), and one more today (0x0000007f).

I, unfortunately, don't have the first five minidumps. I thought that a few windows updates were causing the problem, so I uninstalled the updates, deleted the minidump files, and did a system restore to a few days prior to the first BSOD. Two days later I re-downloaded the updates (along with a few others), and everything seemed fine--until the next crash on 9/9.

I know that most problems may come from bad hardware, bad software, or outdated drivers. I've run a memory check with the Vista memory check, and it said that my memory was fine. I've also checked Nvidia for updates, and I've found that it has a new driver for my video card--along with a motherboard driver update. However, I'm on dial-up and will have to wait for my sister, who has dsl, to receive her new laptop from Dell (she kept getting BSODs too) for me to download such a large file.

I have BlueScreen View, and it says that the last four minidumps have been caused by ntoskrnl.exe (three times) and nvsmu.sys. Can anyone tell me what these things are?

Thank you.

Here are the last four minidumps:
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dumpcheck.zip (80.9 KB, 35 views)
Member with 234 posts.

21-Sep-2009, 07:37 PM #2
sounds like a lot of hardware issues to me...

really just one.. try reseating your RAM chips.
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2009, 05:18 PM #3
Thanks for the response, Keywal. I took out the two ram sticks, put them back in, and did Vista’s memory test. The test said that the memory was free of problems. I had hoped that would have solved the problems; unfortunately, I have new problems.

After the memory test was completed, I logged on to the internet, and after a few minutes, my desktop manager stopped working. Vista sent some information to Microsoft, and a little while later, I experienced a 0x0000003b error. After a re-start, I logged on to the internet, and fifty minutes later I got another 0x0000003b error. BlueScreenViewer says that the first error was caused by fltmgr.sys and that the second was caused by ntoskrnl.exe. I'll attach the latest dump files to this post.

Can anyone read these last two--as well as the other four--dump files for me and tell me what is going on with my computer?

Also, the event viewer says that there have been five event 10, WMI errors in the past 24 hours, and one event 1000, Application error (Dwm.exe.). Does this information help?

I think I should give a little more information about my computer. I’ve had this computer for almost a year. It’s a Gateway, model DX4640-UBC01A. Vista Home Premium x64 with all available updates installed. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4700 @ 2.60GHz, 2603 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s). 4 GB of RAM*, 3.75 Total Physically, 2.59 Physically Available. 7.68 Total Virtual Memory, 6.41 Available Virtual Memory. *I don’t know the manufacturer. I saw some labels on the chips when I took them out, but I didn’t read them. They give the name of the manufacturer, correct? If the manufacturer’s name is needed, I’ll give it in my next post.

One last thing. Most of the time the crashes occur while I’m on the internet and using Explorer; however, the computer has also crashed twice when I wasn’t on the internet.

What other information should I give or is needed for a more accurate diagnosis?

Thank you for your time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Minidump2.zip (50.8 KB, 13 views)
Member with 234 posts.

23-Sep-2009, 05:16 AM #4
have you tried rebuilding Windows?

it has to be worth a go..
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
23-Sep-2009, 10:17 AM #5
Quote:
Debug session time: Wed Sep 9 12:15:12.778 2009 (GMT-7)
BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff80002293ee8, 0, 28}

Probably caused by : hardware ( nt!MiPrepareSegmentForDeletion+cc )

------------------------------------------------------

Debug session time: Thu Sep 10 15:43:32.391 2009 (GMT-7)
BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff8000227b782, 1, 8}

Probably caused by : hardware ( nt!RtlVirtualUnwind+3f2 )

-------------------------------------------------------
Debug session time: Sat Sep 19 12:12:03.132 2009 (GMT-7)

BugCheck 50, {fffffffffffffff8, 0, fffffa60044659b3, 0}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\SYMFW.SYS, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMFW.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMFW.SYS
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\SYMTDI.SYS, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SYMTDI.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SYMTDI.SYS

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : SYMFW.SYS ( SYMFW+a9b3 )
-------------------------------------------------

Debug session time: Mon Sep 21 12:24:23.721 2009 (GMT-7)
BugCheck 7F, {8, 80050031, 6f8, fffff800022ab678}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiDoubleFaultAbort+b8 )

--------------------------------------

Debug session time: Tue Sep 22 12:13:01.487 2009 (GMT-7)
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffffa6000b215d8, fffffa600a091b40, 0}

Probably caused by : fltmgr.sys ( fltmgr!FltpPerformPreCallbacks+f8 )

--------------------------------------------

Debug session time: Tue Sep 22 13:02:46.760 2009 (GMT-7)

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff8000226ff87, fffffa600a693ff0, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!ExpGetProcessInformation+3b7 )
Most of these are pointing at hardware -- and appear to involve the paging file, however Symantec is flagged in one.

Two things I would do are run chkdsk on the drive -- and clear the page file.

I believe you can clear the page file by changing back and forth from custom to system managed, rebooting between

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...5c4b81033.mspx

or by following these directions >>

http://support.microsoft.com/Default...810093&sd=RMVP

chkdsk >>

http://www.windows-help-central.com/...ta-chkdsk.html

The log for chkdsk will be available in the Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc) > Applications log > Wininit entry after reboot.

You can post that here when you find it.

While you are checking the event viewer look for "NTFS" errors in the System log

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 23-Sep-2009 at 10:22 AM..
Computer Specs

24-Sep-2009, 01:45 PM #6
Hi, keywal and Rollin' Rog. Thanks for replying.

Rollin' Rog,
I did the the page file thing in your second link. I tried to do the check disc, but the check disc wouldn't perform. It said that it "cannot open volume for direct access." What do I do now?

Every time I restarted the computer when I was switching page file options, it tried to check the disc. Is it supposed to do that every time? If not, how do I stop it? I only scheduled it once.

One more thing, I've received more BSODs since my first post. I'll attach them to this post. Would you please take a look at them? Perhaps these will give more information as to what is going on.

If you need any more information, please let me know.

Thank you for your time and assistance.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Minidump2.zip (147.9 KB, 7 views)
Senior Member with 3,852 posts.

24-Sep-2009, 02:10 PM #7
hi try running memtest86+ http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http:/...sAZ_FH-hwI6dvA to check your ram one stick at a time and run the test for a few hours each time you can also use this to check your gpu
http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

also use imgburn to burn memtest to disc http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http:/...YE_P29feVWUXIA
please wait untill RollinRog gives you the go ahead to perform these steps
Member with 234 posts.

24-Sep-2009, 04:11 PM #8
Guys there's a few things stickin' out in these posts..

"I did the the page file thing in your second link. I tried to do the check disc, but the check disc wouldn't perform. It said that it "cannot open volume for direct access."

a disk check doesn't check the RAM it checks the hard drive and a volume in my head is a hard drive or folder.

"Every time I restarted the computer when I was switching page file options, it tried to check the disc"

Again pointing to a hard drive problem.

i've just fixed a machine today that was giving continuous BSOD's and i took the whole thing apart thinking something had come lose but after i carefully put the thing back together it still did the same thing....

i had a HDD with me with windows on it so i put it in the laptop. what do ya know?

WORKING perfectly. i replaced the guys hard drive put windows back in and so... another happy customer.

the short version of this story and what i'm actually trying to say is, replace your hard drive! And if you can, think back... Did you drop the PC at anytime like my customer remembered doing when i gave it back fixed?

By the way he didn't drop it far, just from his hand on to his desk(about 4 inches from the desk!!!)
Member with 7,891 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Sep-2009, 05:44 PM #9
Computer Specs

24-Sep-2009, 06:37 PM #10
Quote:
a disk check doesn't check the RAM
Hi Keywal,
I may not have been clear as to what I was did in my last post. Just to clarify, RR asked me to do two things: clear the page file and run chkdsk.

When I right-clicked my c: drive, and then clicked on properties, then tools, then the error check now, then the "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors button, and finally the start button. Windows wouldn't let me ("hard drive in use") and then asked me whether or not I wanted to schedule a scan on the next restart. I clicked schedule scan button.

I then went to the second link in RR's post and followed the instructions. After selecting no page file and clicking "set", I shut down the computer and restarted it. The computer tried to do a chkdsk on boot up, but couldn't perform the task. I then changed the virtual memory back to system managed and restarted the computer. The computer then tried to do another chkdsk but again couldn't perform the task. The last attempt at chkdsk gave me cause for concern because I didn't schedule a chkdsk scan again.

I hope that clears up any confusion, if there was any.

Quote:
Did you drop the PC at anytime
No, never droppped, bumped it, or hit it; although, lately I do feel like doing the latter.

Hi Mumbodog,

Thanks for the link. I performed a chkdsk using command prompt. The scan found "0 kb in bad sectors."

I also did a chkdsk by right-clicking on c:; however, I had to do it by unselecting the "Automatically fix file errors" button. A box popped up, the computer did a scan, and it found zero errors on the hard drive.

It still won't do it on startup. I've also had three more BSODs.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Minidump3.zip (73.8 KB, 9 views)
Computer Specs

25-Sep-2009, 12:58 PM #11
3 bugchecks and 3 different "faults"

Quote:
BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc000001d, fffffa6002e2e6ff, fffffa60084499a8, fffffa6008449380}

Probably caused by : CAX_CNXT.sys ( CAX_CNXT+2d6ff )

----------------------------------------------

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff9600013a57e, fffffa6009825280, 0}

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!ClientGetMessageMPH+72 )

--------------------------------------------------

BugCheck D1, {fffff2800befce40, 2, 0, fffffa600379e056}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+593056 )
I would be looking at overheating now as a possible reason.

All of these could be consistent with that;

Have you tried opening the case and blowing out all the dust?

Does the fan seem to be working properly?

Can you get a reading from speedfan or another temp monitor -- and report those taken during a malware scan to stress the CPU?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download337.html

or >>

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ (I haven't used this one personally)
Computer Specs

25-Sep-2009, 06:39 PM #12
RR,
I downloaded SpeedFan and MalwareBytes. I checked the temps with both Malwarebytes and Windows Defender. Neither could finish their scans because of crashes. All temp and fan readings, of course, fluctuated.

For Defender the readings were: GPU: 0C (blue, downward arrow), Temp1: 26C (blue arrow), Temp2: 44c (green check), Temp3: 41C (green check), Core0: 35C (blue arrow), Core1: 33C (blue arrow), Fan1: 1080 RPM, and Fan3: 0 to 55000 to 168750.

For MalwareBytes: Gpu: 0C (blue arrow), Temp1: 25C (blue arrow), Temp2: 45C (green check), Temp3: 42C (green check), Core0: 32C (blue arrow), Core1: 30C (blue arrow), Fan1: 1090 RPM, and Fan3: 0 to 96429 to 337500.

Quote:
Have you tried opening the case and blowing out all the dust?
I've tried to blow out all the dust, but some of it is stuck to the bottom of the case and to the top of the video card. I got out all the loose dust I could.

Quote:
Does the fan seem to be working properly?
I believe both fans are.

Here are five more crashes, yesterday's and today's:
Attached Files
File Type: zip Minidump5.zip (112.3 KB, 10 views)
Computer Specs

25-Sep-2009, 07:56 PM #13
Well those temps are all well below normal >>
Quote:
Core 2 Duo E4700
(dual 2.6GHz - 2MB) 1.2V
(0.85V~1.5V) 1.55V 75A 65W 73.3 C
ref: http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

All the faults in the last 4 minidumps are different. If the drive is healthy and the ram is healthy there has to be a serious motherboard fault. Is the computer still under warranty?

When you ran the memory test did you press F1 for "Advanced Options" and run the extended test?

You might also want to give this hardware stress tester a run, I can't help you with it as I've never used it myself >>

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Faq

Quote:
Debug session time: Fri Sep 25 14:41:48.723 2009 (GMT-7)

BugCheck BE, {fffffa6002d36be9, 8000000100373121, fffffa6007813930, b}

Probably caused by : CAX_DPV.sys ( CAX_DPV+85870 )
------------------------------------------------------
Debug session time: Fri Sep 25 14:07:58.748 2009 (GMT-7)
BugCheck 1E, {0, 0, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : partmgr.sys ( partmgr!PmFail+16 )
-----------------------------------------------------
Debug session time: Fri Sep 25 14:00:39.549 2009 (GMT-7)
BugCheck 50, {fffff900c2653508, 0, fffff9600014d637, 2}

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!TimersProc+73 )
--------------------------------------------------------
Debug session time: Fri Sep 25 12:40:16.529 2009 (GMT-7)
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffffa6000b25b69, fffffa600972eb10, 0}

Probably caused by : fileinfo.sys ( fileinfo!FIStreamGet+52 )
Member with 234 posts.

30-Sep-2009, 05:31 AM #14
found this on the MSDN

Error Message:
STOP: 0x0000003B (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Explanation:

This is a Windows 2000 Executive character-mode STOP message. It indicates an exception was raised in a system service which was not handled by the system service.
User Action:

If this is the first time you have booted after installing new hardware, remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its drivers are compatible with Windows 2000. For information about the hardware, contact the supplier. If you are installing Windows 2000 for the first time, check the Windows 2000 system requirements, including the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system. Also, check the Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the system can run Windows 2000. If Windows 2000 is loaded and no new hardware has been installed, reboot with recovery options set to create a dump file. If the message continues to appear, select the Last Known Good option when you reboot. If there is no Last Known Good configuration, try using the Emergency Repair Disk. If you do not have an Emergency Repair Disk, contact your technical support group.
Member with 234 posts.

30-Sep-2009, 05:35 AM #15
and this
Bug Check 0x1A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

The MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bug check has a value of 0x0000001A. This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!