Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Alt-tabbing out of game slows mouse pointer speed

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Oct-2009, 11:07 PM #1
Cool Alt-tabbing out of game slows mouse pointer speed
Howdy! I was playing Fallout 3 on my notebook recently, and I alt-tabbed out of the game to look something up online. The game hung up and I had to use task manager to get out of it. Afterward, my mouse moved sluggishly, so I bumped up the mouse pointer speed in the control panel. Tonight, I did it again. Stupid, right? Anyway, now my mouse pointer speed is maxed out, but the cursor still moves a bit slower than before. I tried restarting, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Does anybody know how to reset this? I believe the problem is that Fallout 3 is set to run at 1280x800 pixels, and my desktop is set at 1680x1050. My mouse is an wireless Dynex optical mouse with a USB dongle. I also have a touchpad, but I usually turn that device off as soon as I notice it. I'm running Vista Home Premium with SP1. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Glaug-Eldare; 03-Oct-2009 at 06:23 AM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Oct-2009, 04:13 PM #2
Well, I tried reversing the relationship between the game and desktop resolution. I set mouse pointer speed to the default, set my desktop to 800x600 and the game to 1680x1050, and kept alt-tabbing until fallout hung up again. After that, I was able to get the mouse pointer speed back up to a reasonable speed afterwards, but this is pretty inconvenient and unpredictable.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
alt-tab, mouse, mouse pointer speed, pointer, speed

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!