Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7 Made Hard Drive Unreadable

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Oct-2009, 12:27 PM #1
Exclamation Windows 7 Made Hard Drive Unreadable
I've been using the Windows 7 Beta since it came out and I just installed the retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate x86. I allowed 7 to reformat the HDD and partition it however it liked, I did not upgrade. The installation went quickly until the first reboot. When the computer restarted, the BIOS hangs. I cannot proceed any further, or even enter BIOS settings (without disconnecting the HDD, so it will not hang on this step).

I've had the BIOS set to do a diagnostic-sort-of boot, where it will print everything it does rather than just showing some corporate logo.

After the 7 install, it's always hanging on this step (the HDD I installed 7 to, and the only HDD):

Code:
SECOND CHANNEL DEVICE 1: MAXTOR ##### #####
ULTRA DMA MODE-5, S.M.A.R.T CAPABLE AND STATUS OK
So, now I cannot access the HDD. It's not clicking or making any noises to make me assume it died.

Why do you think it's not accessible? I tried it in my other computer and BIOS just doesn't even recognize it. Why can this BIOS view it, but crashes everytime?

Without the BIOS recognizing it, I have no ability to reformat it in a Linux live CD or something of that matter.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Graham
Computer Specs
Member with 466 posts.

Experience: Unknown
24-Oct-2009, 12:32 PM #2
Run the Diagnostic tool made by the manufacturer for the HDD. If it is WD, then you need to plug it into another machine as an external through USB.

Seagate/Maxtor have a bootable disc which you can download. Hitachi should be the same.
Computer Specs

24-Oct-2009, 12:45 PM #3
I tried, and I can't get past this part of the BIOS to boot from the Seatools CD.

If I un-plug the HDD, boot from the Seatools CD, and plug the HDD back in, it isn't recognized.
Computer Specs

24-Oct-2009, 04:41 PM #4
I took the HDD to Best Buy today and it was readable on their computers, so they handed it back to me and I bought a new SATA cable. It didn't make a difference.

I've since tried the HDD on both my computers (on one it crashes the BIOS, on the other it isn't even recognized). However, the Best Buy guy said it worked for him and he saw all the Windows 7 files on the drive.

Here's the BIOS settings:

Code:
Type - Not Installed, Auto, CDROM, ARMD
Block (Multi-Sector Transfer) Mode - Disabled, Auto
PIO Mode - Auto, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
DMA Mode - Auto
32Bit Data Transfer- Disabled, Enabled
and also

Code:
Onboard PATA/SATA Adapters - Both, PATA, SATA, Neither
Onboard PATA/SATA Configuration - Enhanced Mode, Combined Mode
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 466 posts.

Experience: Unknown
31-Oct-2009, 03:50 PM #5
Have you tried getting it to connect through an enclosure? Make it connect to the PC via e-sata or USB.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hard disk, not recognized, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!