Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Not able to find drivers for Windows 7, no product support offered by Sony

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Oct-2009, 08:53 PM #1
Not able to find drivers for Windows 7, no product support offered by Sony
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-CR220E and have installed a clean copy of Windows 7. Sony, in its infinite wisdom (malice?) has decided not to provide driver updates at all for my model since the computer is allegedly incapable of running Windows 7 (lies!).

I am having trouble finding drivers for the memory card reader, microphone, and webcam. In addition, my function keys don't work at all, and the volume buttons work but don't appear on the screen like they used to (this is not necessarily a problem). The touchpad doesn't scroll anymore.

I have attempted to fix some of the problems by downloading the original drivers/software from the Sony eSupport website (Vaio Control Center, Sony Utilities, Vaio Event Service, Battery Checker, etc.) but none of them work correctly, probably because the versions on the model-specific page are for Vista only. They either won't install at all, or cause huge problems with other things. (The battery checker/ISB utility is made of pure evil.) I had to uninstall everything I put on it almost immediately.

Does anyone know what specific drivers/programs I need, and where I can get the Windows 7 compatible versions?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

25-Oct-2009, 09:14 PM #2
Have you tried the Vista drivers? I have found they work in most cases.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Oct-2009, 09:39 PM #3
I have tried the Vista drivers. They claim to install successfully but the hardware still doesn't work. I have tried to run them normally and in compatibility mode. No success.

If I try to use the webcam, the program pops up with a message that says the camera is in use by another program. All the other things just don't respond at all.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
driver missing, installation problems, software compatibility, sony vaio, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!