Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: not recognizing my password

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Nov-2009, 06:36 AM #1
Unhappy Solved: not recognizing my password
Please help. When I tried to log on today, my vista home premium will not recognize my password - same one I have always used. I have only had laptop for a few months and always use same password. Can anyone help especially as I have never known about backingup\recovery etc.??? Toshiba say they have never heard of this problem before and suggest that something has been corrupted or I have changed my password which I haven't. There is only one user and that's me.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Once it's fixed how do I stop it from happening again. Does this stop anyone helping as it is related to passwords?

Last edited by Katcal; 07-Nov-2009 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: giving more info
Member with 46 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Nov-2009, 07:05 AM #2
Hi Katcal and welcome to the forum, the very first thing to check is that you haven't accidentally hit the caps lock button on the keyboard either before or during the time you were entering your password, if you are sure you haven't and still can't get in click on this link for a few more ideas http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1227506.htm I hope this helps you out a little, post back your results
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2009, 07:27 AM #3
re password
Hello
When I press the ctrl+alt+delete keys nothing changes. I still have my username above and a blank box for my password. I am now hunting the house to see if we have any vista disks. My husband says its unlikely we have one as the laptop came pre=installed. What I'm worried about is that we are using the same password as always.

Last edited by Katcal; 07-Nov-2009 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: more info.
Member with 8,250 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Nov-2009, 07:33 AM #4
K:
Hello & welcome to TGF.

I am NOT a moderator.

TGF rules do not permit us to help with password issues.
Quote:
Passwords - Please do not ask for assistance with forgotten passwords and/or bypassing them. As there is no way to verify the actual situation and/or intentions, no assistance will be provided and any such threads will be closed.
http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

RF123
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2009, 07:49 AM #5
Hello Tuneman

I have managed to get back into my system. What I did differently was instead of switching off my laptop, I clicked on restart instead and entered the password as normal. I am now trying to back up my system onto a blank disk. Is this correct? I have a Toshiba L300D. There is also a wee thing underneath that gives me an option to restore files so do I need to click on that too.
I am worried to switch off my computer again in case I can't get back in as I have input my password about a 100 times today. I read in the link you posted that I should not have only one user, so will it be easy to set up a different user and if I try that which user comes up when I try to log on. Does this make any sense?? Any idea why the ctr+alt+delete buttons did not change anything?
Member with 46 posts.

07-Nov-2009, 08:09 AM #6
Hi Katcal i've sent you a message,check your messages
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2009, 08:23 AM #7
Hello again Tuneman, I have checked my messages but the links in the email bring me back to this page, is that right?
Member with 46 posts.

07-Nov-2009, 08:49 AM #8
Hi Katcal your problem is marked up as solved, are you confident now?
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2009, 01:19 PM #9
Hello, I am unsure why my system recognized my password after numerous attempts. The only thing I can put it down to is that I pressed 'restart' instead of shut down. Why this happened though has confused me. What I have done now is got a blank disc and gone to the windows backup restore centre for first time and put it on a disc = I THINK this is what Toshiba is telling me when I always log in but it's not clear in telling me how I do it. Toshiba told me they never heard of this problem when I rung them this morning and told me I needed to buy a backup disc from them for 30.

I am now going to log off and try and log on again. Many thanks for your help and not dismissing me because I had a password query.
Computer Specs
Member with 255 posts.

Experience: Just keeping it simple
07-Nov-2009, 02:19 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
Hi Katcal and welcome to the forum, the very first thing to check is that you haven't accidentally hit the caps lock button on the keyboard either before or during the time you were entering your password, if you are sure you haven't and still can't get in click on this link for a few more ideas http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1227506.htm I hope this helps you out a little, post back your results
Tuneman site rules TSG do not help with passwords under any circumstances
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!