Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

help nothing installs!!!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: please keep it simple
19-Nov-2009, 05:55 AM #1
help nothing installs!!!
hi Im having a problem installing anything on my laptop..it has windows
vista..Im kinda basic on the old technology front Im afraid. Ive tried installing avg9 free edition it goes through the whole process and I get this message at the end "Error: MSVC Redistributables installation failed. Installation of AVG can not continue."..It cant install the latest msn or adobe reader either..I tried downloading windows installer again but that failed. It is installing windows updates but only when i go to shut down if i try doing them while im on the laptop they fail...Sorry for the long winded post but thought the more info the better..pls if anyone can help could you use 5yr old language Im a dumb blonde!! thanks x
Member with 348 posts.

19-Nov-2009, 07:56 AM #2
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free...=show&id=23783

The link there provides a link to a solution the people on that forum say seems to be working should hopefully work for you too.
Computer Specs

20-Nov-2009, 04:41 AM #3
tried and failed :(
hey thanks tried that but it couldnt install it lol says that window installer may not be installed correctly..was going to uninstall windows installer and try re installing it but dont want to totally goose the laptop!
Member with 348 posts.

20-Nov-2009, 10:01 AM #4
It sounds like something major was missing during windows install perhaps you told it to skip certian things during install do to a semi bad disc?
Computer Specs

30-Nov-2009, 06:15 AM #5
laptop thru windows
hey thanks unfortuneatly dont have a clue what to do with this bloody thing...thinking of throwing it out of the window...who knows maybe santa will be kind to me thanks again
ekim68   (Mike) ekim68 is offline   ekim68 has a birthday soon!
Member with 45,167 posts.

30-Nov-2009, 11:20 PM #6
Did this happen recently? Have you tried a system restore?
Senior Member with 3,852 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Dec-2009, 05:49 PM #7
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,347 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Dec-2009, 11:26 PM #8
You might need an exe fix in the registry.

Try the following fix: EXEFIX

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the desktop. Right-click the REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an administrator to apply this fix.
Computer Specs

08-Dec-2009, 10:13 AM #9
hi guys just back on steered clear of this thing for a while have tried system restore but it didnt work going to go try the other advice now thanks loads for all the help will let yas know how I get on..if i get it fixed im makin a donation no one else has been able to help..til the next chapter !!
Computer Specs

08-Dec-2009, 10:16 AM #10
oh bought that regcure..told me it fixed about 96 errors didnt fix this problem tho
Computer Specs

08-Dec-2009, 10:28 AM #11
tried exefix but no joy ( it is installing a few updates its always the same ones that dont install and one of them is an Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB973923)
Installation date: ‎08/‎12/‎2009 15:23
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 641
Update type: Important
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system with Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=158263
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com
thats only one of them but I think its the one that may be stopping anything else installing
Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688)
Installation date: ‎08/‎12/‎2009 15:23
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 641
Update type: Important
Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973688
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com
thats another lol there are 2 more that reguarly wont install windows live sign in assistant and a microsoft works one ...took me ages to figure out how to copy n paste that shows how bright i am
Computer Specs
Member with 5,122 posts.

08-Dec-2009, 11:45 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by annemariem View Post
oh bought that regcure..told me it fixed about 96 errors didnt fix this problem tho
When you have been here a while, you will note that many of use recommend NOT using any registry cleaner, because of the problems they can create.
I suggest that you start your computer in safe mode (gently, continously tap the F8 key).
When the safemode window opens use the arrow keys to go up to "last known good configuration", click on enter. Let the computer do it's thing.
If that solves the problem, I would delete the older restore points and set a new one.
Post back and let us know how it goes.
Vicks
Senior Member with 3,852 posts.

08-Dec-2009, 06:31 PM #13
Hi you may need to consider a reinstall if nothing else is working annoying I know but sometimes it is for the best,also as vicks says regcure and software of that type can add to your problems so save the money next time it is better in your pocket than some companys
Computer Specs
Member with 66 posts.

Experience: Beginner
09-Dec-2009, 09:18 AM #14
try borrowing a vista disc, or, assuming ur copy is genuine, ask MS for one. Then, do a clean install, and post back. Remember to BACK UP.
I think the prob is in the vista installation itself. Could u tell more like make; whether vista came installed or was installed by u later. try using an anti-virus; if dat doesnt work, google and download f-secure rescue disc; it doensnt require u install anything.
P.S-> Do the antivirus thing first....
Computer Specs

11-Dec-2009, 04:07 AM #15
success!!!!!!!!!!! Tried restore tried the f8 option with no joy ..my son had a copy of vista (hes actually doing an hnc in computin lol) so he backed up my files and reinstalled vista...now all updates are workin and this old horse is running half normally..thanks to you all for your help ...see there are still nice ppl in the world thanks again everyone x
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!