Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer won't stay on except in Safe Mode

(!)

Member with 145 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Nov-2009, 08:58 AM #1
Computer won't stay on except in Safe Mode
I used an HP Recovery Disk to reinstall Windows Vista Ultimate on my HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop. After six hours or so of shutting down and restarting to add software, the computer continued to constantly boot up for about 5 minutes, then shut down, then repeat over and over for the rest of the night. Now when I start Windows normally, the computer stays on for a few minutes, then shuts down and restarts. I'm using it now in Safe Mode with networking, and it stays on and accesses the internet. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by axagirl; 30-Nov-2009 at 09:04 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 277 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Nov-2009, 10:38 AM #2
If you boot up the machine in safe mode, then goto control panel, administrive tools and then goto event viewer. If you look under windows logs, then application or system and have a look for any errors. You might be able to see something in there to Google to find out why. If not post a few here and we might be able to find something. Otherwise it could be a virus or spyware, can't remember what you can install in safe mode. Try AVG 9.0, spybot and malwarebytes.

Last edited by JohnWill; 07-Dec-2009 at 08:29 AM..
Member with 145 posts.

30-Nov-2009, 11:18 AM #3
Thanks, IT-Support. I did install AVG 9.0 and ran a scan; it didn't find anything, but a lot of files were locked...was that because I ran it in Safe Mode? I'm not sure the computer would stay on long enough to run a scan with a regular start up. I'm downloading Spybot now. Thanks again.
Member with 145 posts.

30-Nov-2009, 04:09 PM #4
I ran Malwarebytes and Spybot, and maybe 5 problems were found and fixed. These were run in Safe Mode. Still, every time I try to start the computer normally, it won't stay on. The "hourglass" looks frozen and just sits there, then the computer shuts down and restarts. The F11 doesn't work. "Last Known Good Configuration" doesn't work. Just thought I'd add this info to the other. Thanks.
Member with 145 posts.

30-Nov-2009, 05:42 PM #5
OK...I looked at the Event Viewer. Some of the most frequent warnings/errors were these:

-COM+Event System detected a bad return code.
-Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry files may not function properly after.
-Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because a composite theme is not in use. (Then it said it had exited.)
-winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> was unavailable to handle a notification event.
-winlogon notification subscriber <Sens> was unavailable to handle a notification event.
-winlogon notification subscriber <UmRdpService> was unavailable to handle a notification event.
-winlogon notification subscriber <SessionEnv> was unavailable to handle a notification event.
-winlogon notification subscriber <TrustedInstaller> was unavailable to handle a notification event.
-Faulting application ccApp.exe, version 106.2.0.21, time stamp 0x45a467ef, faulting module NSCWSCR2.DLL, version 2007.2.0.22, time stamp 0x45a9b0db, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0001c9d8, process id 0x9c, application start time 0x01ca7209cff339b
Drivers\FBIKB_NT.Sys was blocked from loading

All of this is Greek to me! There were more events listed, but most were Information. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. Thanks.
Senior Member with 3,852 posts.

30-Nov-2009, 06:35 PM #6
Hi try running sfc /scannow
To run the Windows Vista System File Checker in safe mode:

Open the 'start' menu. Type 'cmd' in the search bar, do NOT press ENTER. Right click on the 'cmd' executable file in the search results and choose 'run as administrator'.
When the administrative command prompt window opens, type the following:
sfc /scannow And press ENTER. Windows Vista will begin checking all essential system files and making repairs when necessary. This may take quite a while, and you may be required to insert your Windows Vista installation disk.
Member with 145 posts.

30-Nov-2009, 08:11 PM #7
Thanks, joeten! I tried that, and the message at the end said:

"found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them." It said some of them were available in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log For example,

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:Windows\system32>s

I tried checking that log, but it was an incredibly long list of items, and I couldn't tell which were fixed and which were not.

Thanks again.

01-Dec-2009, 01:28 PM #8
Hi try running a repair from your disc
Member with 145 posts.

01-Dec-2009, 01:53 PM #9
I tried something I read online that said to uncheck the HP FBI from the startup tab. Now the computer is staying on with normal startup. I've tried installing the printer, but I'm not sure yet if it worked. I'm still working on it, but it seems more normal than it has in a while.

Thanks so much for your help!

01-Dec-2009, 02:50 PM #10
Hi I 'am glad you got it sorted hope it works out well from the little I read this appears to be the proceedure for making a recovery partition and can take a few hours to complete
Member with 145 posts.

01-Dec-2009, 04:15 PM #11
There is still something not right...it keeps hanging, with either the "hourglass" or the "pointing hand" frozen for a little while before unfreezing. From some site I read that others had changed the partition size and had resolved their problems, but I don't know whether I would have to re-insert the recovery disk after doing that or what.

Thanks again for all your help!

01-Dec-2009, 05:38 PM #12
Hi I would not see that as being the case this maybe of help
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial133.html
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!