Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: USB causing BSOD

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

19-Dec-2009, 06:07 PM #1
Solved: USB causing BSOD
I have a sony Vaio model number vgn-aw120j. Ok i am completely out of ideas and hoping you people can assist me. I am attaching the minidump files of the last few crashes and have 25-30 more if you need them.

It started 3-4 weeks ago and would get a BSOD randomly every day or two and they became more and more frequent. I am stationed overseas and am using a USB modem to access the internet and thought this was the problem as it seemed to not happen when it was not plugged in but then it BSOD when It was not in use and the bsod mentioned usbport.sys and i had a logitech mouse installed. I removed the mouse and plugged in a mouse from another computer a microsoft sidewinder. Got BSOD's with both of them so removed all USb devices. Would still get BSOD using nothing except the touchpad now but still getting BSOD with out a USB device of any kind installed and the error message is now talking about kernals instead of USBport.sys

Have tried everything microsoft has told me to no avail. Running Vista 64 bit sp2 which i updated to recently in an attempt to fix what i thought was a seperate problem but may be relayed. I have microsoft intellipoint 6.1 installed and unable to use all the extra features of my sidewinder mouse and am unable to update to the correct intellipoint 7.0. I am getting a 1603 install error. I am unable to uninstall the intellipoint 6.1

I will be checking this message frequently if any further information is required i will post asap thank you everybody for your assistance !!!
Attached Files
File Type: txt minidumps.txt (6.8 KB, 508 views)

Last edited by JBower4; 19-Dec-2009 at 06:42 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
20-Dec-2009, 02:08 AM #2
The faulting driver in your text is "umbus.sys" (User Mode Bus Enumerator)

This is somewhat different than simply a "usb" driver.

Although I have not encountered it before, it appears to be used to "enumerate" (detect) certain installed devices, whether they are all USB devices I am not sure.

If you open the Device Manager (run: devmgmt.msc) and expand the tree under "System Devices" you will find it there, not under USB Controller devices.

Do either "UMBus Enumerator" or "UMBus Root Bus Enumerator" show any error flags?

If so, I would remove the device and reboot and let Windows reinstall it. You might want to set a System Restore point before proceeding, just to be safe. In fact given the verifier error, I would probably try reinstalling it even if no flags are shown.

If these devices do not automatically reinstall themselves after a couple of reboots -- try to install them manually through the Control Panel > Add Hardware > Show All Devices > System Devices > Microsoft You will find them there. You may need a system disk to complete this though.

All your bugchecks are from Driver Verifier. This is very unusual since the faulting driver is a Microsoft file which should be able to pass muster if either it or its registry related entries are not corrupt.

But how did Driver Verifier come to be enabled, was that a test procedure suggested to you after receiving other BSODs?

I would disable it, run verifier /reset and reboot.

And collect any future BSODs, and upload them following the instructions below so I can see something besides the Verifier error.

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Microsoft driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

If you do not see any minidumps, be sure you are not using any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. Also run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Make sure "small memory dump" is the one chosen under "write debugging information" and the location should be %systemroot%\minidump
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also if this error is easily repeatable, try testing in a "Clean Boot" environment >>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 20-Dec-2009 at 02:57 AM..

20-Dec-2009, 03:21 AM #3
Ok first I want to thank you for taking the time to help me out here

I ran the verifier first and turned everything off but it said it required a restart and I probably should of done oops.

Opened up the device manager and there was nothing flagged. there was 3 UMBus Enumerator's and 1 UMBus Root Bus Enumerator

I uninstalled the first one and got a BSOD immediately after I am attaching the dumpchecks you asked for and going to see if turning the verifier off will allow me to uninstall all 4 of the UMBus's

Will reply after I uninstall these 4 just wanted to get this info posted before I started the handfull of restarts it looks like I am about to start lol

Thank you again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dumpcheck.zip (440.9 KB, 63 views)
Computer Specs

20-Dec-2009, 03:25 AM #4
Just a quick question while we are both here and before I look at the dumpchecks.

I see I do not have this device on XP, only on Vista -- but the substitute is Zune Bus ... (I have a Zune player installed on both) -- do you have anything similar?

edit

Ok, let's hold the phone here, all the C4 (driver verifier errors) in your last 4 or 5 dumps finger AVG >>

Debug session time: Sun Dec 20 00:03:24.051 2009 (GMT-8)

BugCheck C4, {0, 0, 0, 0}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\avgtdia.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for avgtdia.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avgtdia.sys
Probably caused by : avgtdia.sys ( avgtdia+7b9e )

This appears to be the case for all the verifier errors, atleast back to the 11th,

Before that I am a seeing the USBport.sys error >>

BugCheck D1, {fffff980856a6ce0, 2, 0, fffffa60025127cf}

Probably caused by : USBPORT.SYS ( USBPORT!USBPORT_TxCsqFindIrp+eb )

In those dumps I see this as a loaded module >>

Quote:
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ONDAusbnmea.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ONDAusbvoice.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ONDAusbvoice.sys
Couldn't resolve error at 'display back trace)'

For reference purposes only, do not run any "scans" from this site.
http://www.runscanner.net/public/ONDAusbvoice.sys.html

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 20-Dec-2009 at 03:42 AM..

20-Dec-2009, 03:32 AM #5
Ok I was able to uninstall the UMBus Enumerator but instead of them being 3 of them for some reason was only showing one now I also uninstalled the Root Bus Enumerator as well

Restarted my computer and plugged in one of my mouses and so far no BSOD yesterday was lucky to finish starting up before computer would BSOD so not sure if it was disabbling the verifier ( no idea why that was on didnt even know about it ) or by uninstalling the drivers and letting windows reinstall them

So far so good though will give it a day or too before saying it is solved maybe you could take a look at the minidumps i posted and see if you see anything else that might be suspect just in case? The blue screen viewer i had showed me a couple of different problems over the last few weeks so not sure if it was just a chain effect from the USB's or if there is other stuff going on as welll

Now that I can use my laptop again maybe I can finally fix the mouse issue and get intellipoint 7.0 installed

Thank again for the help
Computer Specs

20-Dec-2009, 03:39 AM #6
Check on my "edit" -- you may be having a problem with AVG and driver verifier.

The USB errors may have been history, I can't tell.

I'll have a look back tomorrow and you can update at will.

Good luck

25-Dec-2009, 01:26 PM #7
ok been a week everything seems to be good

that AVG makes sense the antivirus software that came with the computer expired and installed AVG but seems like the UMBus was the problem

Thanks for all the help and a merry christmas !!!
Computer Specs

26-Dec-2009, 11:27 AM #8
Most welcome, and have a happy holidays yourself

PS, I see you marked your "Sidewinder" thread "Solved" but no indication of what the solution was, did you just give up? If you found one it is always helpful to indicate what it was.

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 26-Dec-2009 at 12:45 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
blue screen, blue screen of death, bsod, crash, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!