Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dell Inspiron Booting Help

(!)

stingerash stingerash is offline stingerash has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Jan-2010, 04:32 PM #1
Dell Inspiron Booting Help
Can someone help me. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. About 2 years old. I use it just for basic stuff. My battery does not work and I am in the process of ordering a new one. So for now, I use it plugged in. It has been working fine until 3 days ago when it said something about a corrupted file on the C drive ( I think). I tried a system restore but it wouldn't do it until it did a chcksc. I did that and then the system restore and it was fine. Everything was fine. I tured it off regularly last night and when I turned it on today it will not boot up to windows. I turn it on, it goes to a black screen (which it often does telling me to press F1 to continue, which i press and it normally works). Today, I went to do that, and it starts loading up but only gets to the black screen where it says "windows corporation" and stays on that. Now, when I turn it on...

The black screen (that occurs when I turn it on) says: The Ac power adapter wattage and type cannot be derermined. The battery my not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available. Please connect a dell 65W AC adapter or greater for best system performance. To resolve this issue, try to reseat the power adapter. WARNING: the battery cannont be identified, this system will be unable to charge this battery. Strike the F3 key if you dont want the power warning messages again. Strike the F1 key to continue. F2 to run setup utility and F5 to run onboard diagnostics.

I did the onboard diagnostics and got error 0146. Msg: error code 2000-0146. Msg: Hard drive 1-self test log contains previous errors.

Can anyone help me with this. Also, are there any other tests to do. I'm not that good with computers and unfortunately I was trying to finishs a research paper for school

Updated: just ran diagnostics test and got the same error and another one.... Error Code:0333; Msg error Code- 2000-0333. Msg- User graphics test waiting for inuput

Last edited by stingerash; 30-Jan-2010 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: adding
Member with 7,891 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Jan-2010, 12:16 AM #2
Sounds like your hard drive is failing, I suggest you try and copy your important data off of that drive ASAP, see article below

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-computer/

Quote:
Msg error Code- 2000-0333. Msg- User graphics test waiting for inuput
Means it was waiting for you to press a key, but you did not, it then timed out and logged that error. An error on your part, not the PC.

Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

31-Jan-2010, 06:13 PM #3
Thanks for the help, I'll definately do that! I ran the systom tree check. I first checked the "can't boot the Os". It finished with four errors.
Error Code: 0F00-0244; Msg: DISK_0: Block 21180368: uncorrectable data error or media is write protected
Error Code: 0F00:0244; Block 21552414
Error Code: 0F00:1A44; Block 21180368
Error Code: 0F00:1A44; Block 21552414

Then I did the Hard Drive Test Resulting in these Errors:
Error Code: 0F00:075D; Msg: DISK_0: The self test failed the read portion of the test
Error Code: 0F00:0244; Msg: DISK_): Block 21180368- Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected
Error Code: 0F00:0244; Msg: Block 21552414
Error Code 0F00:1A44; Block 21180368
Error Code: 0F00:1A44; Block 21552414

Checked the Fan or system seems hot and all tests passed. Now, it is doing some memory tests. Do these errors mean anything specific. Does anyone know. Thanks guys!
Member with 7,891 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Jan-2010, 09:40 PM #4
Your hard drive is failing, back up your data now, or lose it.

Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

01-Feb-2010, 12:00 AM #5
Okay Thanks Should I bother using the CD my computer came with before I get a new hard drive? Also, if I go someplace tomrorrow and buy a new hard drive, is this something I should have a place like best buy put in for me or is it fairly easy that I could do it myself. I'm not too good with computers! Any idea around a price!? sorry for all the questions!!
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

06-Feb-2010, 10:39 PM #6
Does anyone know if I should even try to use my windows cd that my laptop came with before buying a new hard drive or just go straight to buying a new one, and do you think I could put it in myself, if I'm not too great with computers? Thanks!!!
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

06-Feb-2010, 11:00 PM #7
Reinstalling Windows won't resolve a hardware issue. You need a new hard drive. How comfortable are you taking apart your laptop? Check Dell's website to see if they have any type of hardware manual for it. All laptops are different in how complicated it is to take the hard drive out.
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

06-Feb-2010, 11:14 PM #8
The inspiron 1525 sold in the US has the windows dvd as well as the drivers and utilities.

you can put the hdd in very easy
get a towel
close the unit..lay it on the towel upside down
there are two screws you remove to take out the hdd they are located in the same corner where the 5 blue lights are next to the touchpad but on the bottom of the unit...they have arrows.
remove the screws..pull out the hdd.
Now remove the two screws that hold on the plastic piece that you used to pull out the hdd.
Put this on the new hdd....do not overtighten the screws holding the plastic on.
push the hdd in
put the screws back in where the arrows are
all done
Hit power
start tapping f12 light and fast to reach the one time boot menu
select the cd dvd drive
put in windows disk
close tray
wait a few moments...you will see a prompt to press any key to boot the cd
press the space bar and wait a few moments.
Follow the prompts
Format the drive ntfs....short or long method is fine
after windows is done
put in the driver disk
install the chipset first
then the ricoh driver..also listed under chipsets
now video
modem
audio
lan
then wireless.

reboot after the chipset and video driver installs.
go get all windows updates do not install anything else until windows is full patched.
put on your antivirus
now install your applications
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!