Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: External USB drive will not stop when system is shut down

(!)

Account Closed with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Feb-2010, 07:36 PM #1
Solved: External USB drive will not stop when system is shut down
Vista 64-bit SP2. TB External Maxtor One Touch, 4 drive, worked fine, now it wants to run continously. The USB disk drive does not shut down when I go through the Remove hardware steps for it, then shut down the computer normally. The last step of computer shut down was the external disk drive shutting down. Hard disk keeps spinning and white light stays on. This drive is used for photo storage and several databases. Hate to have disk platters spinning 24x7, and I can not confirm that the read/write heads were safely parked. There is no error message associated with this issue, it like the bunny - keeps running.

Maxtor diagnostics for this drive have been run successfully several times.
Maxtor Check Driver says that the driver is the latest one.
Vista Device Driver say that the drive is well and it can be read and written.
Maxtor states that there is not any firmware changes known for this drive.

Seem like a shut down command has some how been stopped from being sent.

Start up is speculation on my part, because I have to pull the 110 V AC plug to shut it down, which for now I am not worried about because the drive came right up when I plugged it back in (the 110 V AC).

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to offer.

22-Feb-2010, 11:02 AM #2
Vista - External USB drive will not stop when system is shut down
Clarification and new error message.

When you double click on the remove hardware safely, Vista displays 'Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device (Drive L message. After whirling the appropriate drive and flashing the 'busy light' it displays the following error message:

'Windows can't stop your 'Generic Volume' device because it is busy.' The only software running is Vista 64 and the code to safely remove USB mass storage device BECAUSE IT IS IN USE. Only Vista 64 SP2 and the code to stop Drive L: are running.

Furthermore, the button at the bottom of the screen (task Bar?) now says; problem ejecting USB...' Thank goodness, I don't want it ejected, but to be stopped. Sorry for missing the 'Windows can't stop...' message, and that the task bar button changed text. This may help for the problem to be identified.

Sully29

19-Mar-2010, 01:33 PM #3
Work around for the last two months is to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable at the external USB Disk Drive. Will live with that until I can get a new copy of the Microsoft Driver which somehow got walked on. Only thing I can figure happened, but I have only been designing, programming and managing computers since 1966 at Burroughs, General Electric and Lockheed Martin. Thanks to those who looked at this post. Sully29
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!