Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Blurry Computer Monitor?

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

02-Mar-2010, 04:24 PM #1
Blurry Computer Monitor?
The monitor on my desktop computer is blurry. When I go into safe mode it is not.
Any ideas as to how I can fix this?
Junior Member with 19 posts.

02-Mar-2010, 04:32 PM #2
Try updating your graphic card drivers while in safe mode.

02-Mar-2010, 04:45 PM #3
it says its up-to-date?
Junior Member with 19 posts.

02-Mar-2010, 05:01 PM #4
Any idea what might have caused it? I mean, this didn't happend just for no reason, you must have done something to trigger this.

02-Mar-2010, 08:33 PM #5
I noticed it was happening a few months ago, but it would always go away after restarting a few times. I'm not sure what I did to cause it.

05-Mar-2010, 06:29 PM #6
I just finished reseting the computer to factory settings, but the monitor is still blurry.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 56,889 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Mar-2010, 08:36 AM #7
Have you tried a different monitor?

Are you using a boxy CRT monitor or a flat LCD monitor? What size is the screen, and is it a wide-screen model?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Go into the Device Manager and click the + in Display Adapters. What's the description listed there?

Double-click the described device, then click Driver(tab). What's the driver version and the driver date?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,665 posts.

06-Mar-2010, 11:18 AM #8
I had something like this a few years ago and it drove me nuts trying to find the problem.

Pull both ends of the cable from the video card to the monitor and check them very carefully for any bent pins. If it looks OK, then try another monitor cable OR if you have another monitor, try that.
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

06-Mar-2010, 11:53 AM #9
It could also be you need to enable Microsoft ClearType if it is disabled. Or disable it if currently enabled. ClearType is supposed to make LCD displays look better, but I have found sometimes looks worse.

10-Mar-2010, 07:10 PM #10
i hooked up a different monitor today, it was also blurry.

i cannot find anything called cleartype on it?

Last edited by xoxoitscasey; 10-Mar-2010 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: spelling
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,248 posts.

10-Mar-2010, 07:35 PM #11
What's your graphics card?
Member with 2,310 posts.

11-Mar-2010, 05:26 AM #12
If the monitor is not blurry when it is in Safe mode, that tells you that there is at least one selection of resolution that works to your satisfaction.

When you are in regular Windows mode all you need to do is play with your resolution settings to get at least what you had in Safe mode, to get the same results.

But, since Safe mode is a very large 640x480 (or possibly 800x600) mode, I would bet that you are confusing large with clear, and that is usually not the case. If you look closely at the edges of some vertical and horizontal lines I would bet that those are not as sharp as you can get.

If you'd answer the questions that flavallee asked (type of monitor, and model number) we could then instruct you more informatively. There are settings that should be adhered to to get the optimum clarity from your monitor.

By the way, ClearType is something that was created for LCD monitors and the display of fonts, it does nothing for graphics, or for fonts that are within graphics. It is going to make font characters appear smoother, which usually appears as clearer. There are settings for ClearType to adjust for the type of monitor you have (as some LCD monitors are constructed with different color pixel positions). In Vista, if it detects you have an LCD monitor, it will automatically set your ClearType on, and set itself to the most common settings, which will work pretty well in most situations. You can tweak from there.

ClearType can also aid the display on CRT monitors, but it is not near as effective because the actual color beam control is not near as precise as ClearType requires.

11-Mar-2010, 04:27 PM #13
I'm using an LCD monitor 19" not widescreen.

I'm using NVIDIA GrForce 8200
Driver Date: 4/21/2008
Driver Version: 7.15.11.7511

ChuckE, I put it in safemode again, and you were correct, it was still blurry it just wasn't as noticeable.

Last edited by xoxoitscasey; 11-Mar-2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: details
Member with 2,310 posts.

11-Mar-2010, 05:05 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoitscasey View Post
I'm using an LCD monitor 19" not widescreen.
That does not tell us what the model of monitor you have.
But I believe most 19" 4x3 (that means it is not wide-screen) have a native resolution of 1280x1024. If I am right, set your resolution to that, and see what happens.

Once you do that, there may be other tweaks you may want to do. So, before you do any of them, just tell us what adjusting to 1280x1024 did for you.
Member with 2,310 posts.

11-Mar-2010, 06:37 PM #15
Actually, the 1280x1024 is a 5x4 ratio. Sorry. I also just checked and most 19" non-wide-screen monitors are indeed 1280x1024.
If I knew what your monitor model was, I could be more definitive about your monitor..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!