Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless Connection

(!)

Member with 54 posts.

20-Mar-2010, 09:41 PM #1
Wireless Connection
Windows Vista 64 Bit Home Premium.

Internet works fine, but if I click on my network icon and click connect to network and than right click choose properties on my connection or any connection, a error pops up saying:

Windows has encountered an error saving the wireless profile.
Specific error: The data is invalid.

Plus if I go into Network and Sharing Center and Manage Network Connections, the area is empty and I don't know what happen to the wireless connection profile. The profile to access and change the dns and stuff.

My network Adapter card is Belkin N Wireless F5D8053 V3, which I have the latest drivers for the adapter.

Any help is appreciated. Ask me any questions you need to know more about this problem. Thank you for your support
Computer Specs
Member with 48 posts.

Experience: Widely Experienced
20-Mar-2010, 11:11 PM #2
Are you using Windows to control your Wifi card, or are you using some utility? Like a Belkin one, or a Dell/HP one that came with your computer?

i suggest letting windows manage your Wifi to help simplify troubleshooting.
Quote:
Windows Vista

To start Wireless Zero Configuration in Windows Vista you need to log in as an Administrator.

Click on Start and Control Panel
Select Administrative Tools and then Services
In the Services box scroll down the list of Services (Local) until you find the one labelled Wired AutoConfig and double click it.
In the Wired AutoConfig Properties (Local Computer) box change the Startup type to Automatic
Click on Start and once the service has started click on OK
Now find the service labelled WLAN AutoConfig and double click it.
In the WLAN AutoConfig Properties (Local Computer) box change the Startup type to Automatic
Click on Start and once the service has started click on OK
Go to File and Exit to close the Services window
quoted from http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/wirel...onnection.html
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,948 posts.

21-Mar-2010, 08:20 AM #3
Make sure the 'Network Connections' service is Started. If it is not, trace the dependencies back to try to determine the cause.
Member with 54 posts.

21-Mar-2010, 01:41 PM #4
Yes I am using windows to control my wifi and yes Network Connections service is started on my computer. As well as that I have another strange situation here. When I go into Administrative Tools, it opens as a folder but I see no services? Plus when I try to type services in my search box and run services that way, nothing loads up but if I were to go to task manager I would see services.exe but I don't see the windows running. In other words it's running in the background. And another thing, I use to have the Plug and Play icon on the screen usually when my adapter card is plugged in but it's now gone. I think it's because Services.exe is damaged or corrupted someway affecting the drivers and hardware from loading correctly. So how would I fix services.exe than?

Last edited by johnpepper; 21-Mar-2010 at 01:56 PM..
Computer Specs

21-Mar-2010, 03:11 PM #5
All I can think of is to update to SP2 if you're not there yet, and try SFC /SCANNOW.
Member with 54 posts.

21-Mar-2010, 03:53 PM #6
Well I have Service Pack 2 already installed. Now that you mention it though about sfc/scannow, I tried doing a scan. Unfortunately it says:

Windows Resource protection could not start the repair service.

I think it's because of services.exe. After all I think services.exe is the main component to starting/stopping services. If services.exe is damaged somehow than obviously I wouldn't be able to run some services correctly. Maybe I have to replacement of the files replacing the damaged files associated with services.exe.
Member with 54 posts.

25-Mar-2010, 05:13 PM #7
Please I really need help with this situation. If someone can explain a way to restore services.exe back to normal, I might find a way to fix the problem.
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2010, 04:12 PM #8
Depending on what media you have either reinstall Vista or use the Recovery Partition or disks.
Member with 54 posts.

26-Mar-2010, 08:46 PM #9
O yeah Terry sorry bout the problem but it seems like I made a mistake. http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...y-problem.html is the problem i'm having. Actually it's really my plug and play, my services.exe is fine. Now I see no devices in the device manager because plug and play is kind of corrupted or something. I really wana do something about it lol.
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2010, 09:30 PM #10
Have you tried running sfc /scannow and/or System Restore to a time it was working, as joeten advised?
Member with 54 posts.

26-Mar-2010, 10:12 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Have you tried running sfc /scannow and/or System Restore to a time it was working, as joeten advised?
System restore doesn't work and I have no malware on my system currently. I have done a sfc scan and it said some problems were fixed but not all. So I decided to restart my system but the problem still occurred. So I went into the CBS folder and it contained 3 notepad files called CBS, CBS.persist, filter line. Should I post it?
Computer Specs

27-Mar-2010, 07:19 AM #12
Sorry, the only thing "CBS" means to me is one of the 3 big Television networks.
Member with 54 posts.

27-Mar-2010, 06:19 PM #13
Quote:
Sorry, the only thing "CBS" means to me is one of the 3 big Television networks.
Lol well after the scan in cmd was done, it said the detailed description of the scan was in the CBS.log. I found the destination of the folder and found three log files. It's not suppose to save a log file or what? Or is it not suppose to be called CBS? Cause it told me the destination of the CBS log after the scan was complete. Anyways this is the log file if you want to analyze it http://www.mediafire.com/?zzmdyakzttg. It's a really big log file since it's around 10.19 mb. It's in notepad format.

Last edited by johnpepper; 27-Mar-2010 at 06:25 PM..
Computer Specs

27-Mar-2010, 07:14 PM #14
Oh! You taught me something. Now I know that sfc /scannow generates a CBS.log. At least in Vista.

Following this information I started searching for "[SR] Repairing" and found "millions" of corrupted files. I did not find any "Cannot Repair" entries. Maybe I wasn't searching for exactly the correct string.

But, I really don't know what to do next except for my post #8.
Member with 54 posts.

27-Mar-2010, 08:28 PM #15
Quote:
Oh! You taught me something. Now I know that sfc /scannow generates a CBS.log. At least in Vista.

Following this information I started searching for "[SR] Repairing" and found "millions" of corrupted files. I did not find any "Cannot Repair" entries. Maybe I wasn't searching for exactly the correct string.

But, I really don't know what to do next except for my post #8.
Lol glad you learned something . My best thought into this situation would be to find the files required to start plug and play that are "Clean" (runned on vista) and replace the old ones on my system right now with take ownership command. The only problem would be to find the files. Would this hypothesis work out? What do you think?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!