Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Strange Fluctuating Memory

(!)

Member with 78 posts.

30-Apr-2010, 08:10 PM #1
Strange Fluctuating Memory
Hello, I have a Windows Vista Inspiron 1521. I've noticed several months ago, that my memory seems to fluctuate a lot. It's been like this for months, but this time I noticed a big fluctuation from about 8.00 GB to 15.9 GB. It usually does rise and fall, without me adding or deleting anything. I tried to play a game recently and an error comes up saying that I only have 1 MB of memory, and it didn't allow me to play the game. I check my memory and it's 15.9 GB, so I'm completely confused.

I'm afraid it might be some virus that hides the true memory I have and does something to it. Has anyone experienced this or knows what this could be and what program would be suitable for deletion of this potential virus?

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Apr-2010, 08:16 PM #2
Well, this problem does appear to be the workings of a bit of malware...

But when you use the term 'memory' do you mean hard disk or RAM, and how big is you hard disk or RAM.
Member with 78 posts.

30-Apr-2010, 08:36 PM #3
Well, I open up My Computer, and view the C Drive where the bar tells you how much free memory space I have and how much the computer has in total. So, right now it's at 15.9 GB free out of 136GB. A few days ago, the amount of free memory I had was at about 8.00 GB, then it goes up that much and I'm guessing later on it's going to go back down again.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

30-Apr-2010, 08:51 PM #4
That's not memory. That's hard drive space. The differences are relatively insignificant given the total drive capacity. A fluctuation of a few GB on a ~136GB drive isn't terribly out of the ordinary.
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

30-Apr-2010, 08:51 PM #5
Okay, now I have that cleared up.

Look at the processes in the Task Manager, are there any there that you haven't seen before, or that are using a lot of CPU?

Also, have you tried issuing a Disk Quota? Try doing that to limit the usage to whatever it is at the time, and see if it continues to 'fluctuate' or if any errors appear.
Member with 78 posts.

30-Apr-2010, 09:19 PM #6
K, I'm sorry, I just looked up the difference between memory and RAM and I understand that now, so I'm sorry for that, I simply didn't know the difference.

I usually do look at the task manager Bill to see if anything new is there, but this time there's nothing that wasn't there before. No, I've never issued a Disk Quota. What exactly is that and what does it do?
digitalsatori digitalsatori is offline digitalsatori has a Profile Picture
Member with 162 posts.

Experience: haz cheezburger
30-Apr-2010, 09:34 PM #7
I'd suspect your pagefile is the reason your hard drive space is fluctuating. Windows generates a file for temporary RAM storage if you haven't used a particular item in memory for a while (for example, if you leave your web browser minimized). As DoubleHelix suggested, a few gigs is not really surprising considering your drive is about 130gigs.

What about removing some programs or files that you aren't using? If you're almost full with a 136 gig drive, there may be something you can free up elsewhere.
Member with 78 posts.

01-May-2010, 12:54 AM #8
The error message that came up when I tried playing a game said my hard drive only has 1 MB of free space, what I don't understand is why it would say that if the C drive says I have 15 GB of space. Strangely enough I can play two other games just fine.

Last edited by Vene; 01-May-2010 at 01:00 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

05-May-2010, 10:45 AM #9
You can instruct to delete your pagefile upon shutdown/restart.

However, I'm not aware of an internal way of doing it, but I know that TuneUp Utilities has a module on there that can do it for you.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!