Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't backup files on vista

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-May-2010, 10:28 AM #1
Angry Can't backup files on vista
I can't backup files on my computer w/VISTA Basic Home. I went to the Backup Status and Configuration window, chose setting Daily at 10m. Got error msg: "File backup could not save your automatic backup settings for the following reason: Transaction support within the specified file system resource manager is not started or was shutdoen due to an error. (0x80071A91). Please try again." I read someone that VISTABasic does not automatically update but will send reminders. That's find but there is no option to indicate that I don't want automatic BU. I also don't really understand what the problem. is. I lost contents of My Documents file when IE7 crashed & I had to install IE8. I'm trying to recreate the files (ones I can actually remember) but would like to be sure I don't lose them again.
Member with 7,891 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-May-2010, 01:40 PM #2
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

09-May-2010, 01:52 PM #3
I spent over a hr on the microsoft site & managed to finally get the Backup set up. It didn't work the first couple of times until I downloaded SP2 update which I hadn't done. Another interesting thing - my missing Documents folder - the one that disappeared when IE7 crashed - has reappeared on my computer w/all the files in tact. Thank you for the help.
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

09-May-2010, 02:40 PM #4
Sorry, I spoke to soon. In the Navigation Pane I have 2 Documents Folders - one of them is the one that was missing & the other one can be opened but there is nothing in it. I also have 3 Photos folders - 2 can't be opened;1 is the one holding all my photos. Is there a way to get rid of the extra empty folders?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
backup files, failure, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!