Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

cannot open internet browsers

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

10-May-2010, 08:47 PM #1
cannot open internet browsers
hello - exasperated newbie here. This is a problem where my computer was fine yesterday but today won't work.

I cannot open internet browsers. If I click on the icon for Firefox or IE nothing happens. I have an internet connection, my internet options says I am connected to the internet and gives me an option to browse. Clicking the option brings the same results - nothing happens. Not even a window opens that tells me I have no connection. Nada.

By way of troubleshooting I uninstalled BitDefender - I've been running it for a couple of weeks and have had nothing but problems with it - so I figured this might be a cause. It didn't fix the problem, but as a feature of the uninstallation process it opened a window for a website (!) survey asking why I am unhappy with the product. Eureka I am on the web! I can surf and my connection is fine. (It opend in IE even though Firefox is my default). But the same problem persists - I cannot connect to the internet by clicking on an icon.

Googling the problem has brought up tons of connection issues but nothing that seems related to actually having a connection and just not being able to get to it.

Like stated earlier, everything worked fine yesterday. Please help if you can! Thanks!

gt
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,781 posts.

10-May-2010, 09:17 PM #2
Right click on one of your browser shortcuts, select Properties, and see if it is still correct. For example, attached is a shortcut for IE (attachment is Windows 7, but Vista should be about the same).

Type iexplore.exe into a Run box to see if you can launch IE that way.
Attached Thumbnails
cannot open internet browsers-capture.png  

10-May-2010, 10:07 PM #3
Browser shortcuts are fine, paths are correct. Also cannot launch either Firefox or IE from programs list.

Run box iexplore.exe did work though. But I still would like to have the shortcuts working. This one makes no sense to me.

Thanks.

gt
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,781 posts.

10-May-2010, 10:15 PM #4
FYI, the entries in the programs list are also shortcuts.

It doesn't make sense to me either. The only thing I can think of is going to annoy you a little 'cause you already checked the shortcut, but make sure that it is opening in a 'Normal Window' or 'Maximized.'
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,315 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-May-2010, 10:21 PM #5
Can you open your browsers or surf the Web after booting into Safe Mode with Networking?

10-May-2010, 11:02 PM #6
I did a registry clean after the completed uninstall of BitDefender and the shortcuts are back to working. I'm going to blame what will forever be known to me as the worst antivirus software that I've ever used.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. I'll be poking around the rest of these forums for a while.

gt
Member with 110 posts.

11-May-2010, 02:23 AM #7
Hi Friend,
Go to 'options' and then to ''advanced options'. Then select 'browser' and then see what is listed as your default browser configuration. Should say, 'internet browser'...if you don't have that option then call your carrier and have them service books from their end.

Thanks,
James
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!