Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

BSOD: Bad loop header - Won't load Vista

(!)

Member with 81 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-May-2010, 10:19 PM #1
BSOD: Bad loop header - Won't load Vista
Hey guys. So my friend's laptop has suffered a BSOD, and the laptop won't load Vista. I've tried the system recovery but nothing. It won't start up in safe mode either. The laptop is a Gateway M-series. Intel Pentium Dual-Core T3400 Mobile Processor's (2.16GHz, 667MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache) 4 Gigabytes of 667MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Memory, a 320GB SATA hard drive. If there is anymore in that you need I'll try to provide it as promptly as possible. Thank you for you assistance.
Member with 7,891 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-May-2010, 12:54 PM #2
Boot from an Ubuntu CD on the problem Laptop, browse to the Windows\Minidump folder, copy all the dump files in there to a flash drive and zip them up, attach the zip file in your next post using the "Go Advanced" button, then click the paper clip icon to browse and attach the zip, then hit the upload button.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-computer/

You might also back up their important files while you are using the Ubuntu CD.

Member with 81 posts.

18-May-2010, 06:09 PM #3
I just got home from work and i will give the ubuntu cd a shot. Thanks.
Member with 81 posts.

18-May-2010, 09:43 PM #4
here's the minidump. hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Minidump.zip (21.6 KB, 11 views)
Member with 7,891 posts.

18-May-2010, 10:52 PM #5
Use F8 and load windows using "Enable Low resolution video", see if windows will load.

Was that the only minidump file? It shows the bsod to be "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)", not bad loop header ( I think you mean Bad Pool Header)

The Intel Video driver caused the BSOD in the mini dump file you uploaded. (igdkmd32.sys)
Member with 81 posts.

18-May-2010, 11:12 PM #6
My apologies. The screen just blinks so fast, but it was Bad_pool_header. Anyways, that was the only file in the minidump. I also just tried to start it using the "enable low resolution video" and still nothing. Any other ideas? There's just something I don't get. If Ubuntu boots up perfectly fine, shouldn't Vista?
Member with 7,891 posts.

18-May-2010, 11:18 PM #7
Quote:
If Ubuntu boots up perfectly fine, shouldn't Vista?
No, two separate Operating Systems.

Since the BSOD you see is not being recorded in a minidump, it is going to be very hard to find the problem, most of the time it is a bad driver, but it can be a bad memory module also.

I would run a memory tester
http://www.memtest.org/

Download the prebuilt ISO, burn it to CD as an Image (not data), boot from that CD and run the memory test for a couple of hours or overnight to stress test the memory. See if any errors show up.

Member with 81 posts.

18-May-2010, 11:32 PM #8
Will do. I'll let you know tomorrow. You have a good night.
Member with 81 posts.

19-May-2010, 06:46 AM #9
Unfortunately, no errors. The darn laptop passed with flying colors. Ha. So if it is a bad driver, is there any way to repair that?
Member with 11,761 posts.

19-May-2010, 06:51 AM #10
Did this Laptop come with Vista installed on it and does it have a recover disc or maybe a recovery partition on it or do you have the Vista installation disc?

Is Vista the only OS on the main HDD?
Member with 81 posts.

19-May-2010, 09:40 AM #11
The laptop is pre-installed with Vista, and is the only OS on the disk. As for now, there are no recovery discs and don't know of any recovery partitions, although, My friend did say she should be receiving recovery discs from Gateway. I just don't know when. I'll let you know later today when I call my friend.
Member with 7,891 posts.

19-May-2010, 11:06 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianq1029 View Post
Unfortunately, no errors. The darn laptop passed with flying colors. Ha. So if it is a bad driver, is there any way to repair that?
Would be difficult since we don't know which one is causing the bsod.

What model M Gateway is it? It may have a factory restore recovery partition, Installing from DVD would break this feature permanently.

If you feel the need, back up important data before attempting any repairs. Use the Ubuntu boot CD to do that.

Try a System restore before any other repair methods, you might have the recovery environment on the hard drive, Use F8 at boot to see if it is there, then you don't need a Vista DVD as suggested in this article.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial142.html

There is a way to do a repair that is similar to the way XP could be repaired, but requires a Vista DVD that has the "upgrade" ability, not all do. The DVD you use to repair has to be the same service pack level as the installation your are trying to repair, so you cannot repair Vista SP2 installation with a Vista SP1 DVD.

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_..._vista_dvd.htm

Member with 81 posts.

19-May-2010, 11:56 AM #13
I was actually able to get to System Restore, but there were no restore points. I actually stumbled upon the recovery environment you speak of. i tried each selection and still nothing. The model of the laptop is SA6. And I've backed up the whole drive already using the Ubuntu CD. I'll have to try the last part, but it seems as the last resort that I'm going to have to install the Vista from scratch. I do appreciate all of your help though.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!