Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Strange Vista desktop boot problem

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-May-2010, 06:22 AM #1
Exclamation Strange Vista desktop boot problem
Hi,
A few days ago my laptop developed an odd boot problem. I turn on the system, it loads Vista and I get to the Vista login screen. However, when I log in, instead of the desktop loading up I get a black screen but I can still see and move my mouse pointer. The desktop just doesn't appear. The strange thing is that I can still see the occasional pop up message from my anti-virus, but nothing else!
If anyone knows of anyway that this problem could be resolved and I could get my desktop back I would be very grateful!

Specs:
Toshiba Satellite
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5800 2.00GHz
4.00 GB RAM
Vista 32 Bit
Computer Specs
Member with 69 posts.

29-May-2010, 06:45 AM #2
Press ctrl+alt+del and task manager should come up....then press log off..and login again.

If that doesn't work, try booting in safe made.. (press f8 when you are booting up your pc)..could be a driver issue..or there could be some corrupt files...

You could also try system restore from safe mode..
Computer Specs
Member with 2,631 posts.

29-May-2010, 05:01 PM #3
hiya,found this,if not sure using this try get a techie mate to help.
Here is how to recover from the KSOD (blacK Screen Of Death):

There apparently this a problem related to the Remote Procedure Call service (RPC) running under LocalSystem account instead of NT Authority\NetworkService account.

1. On the affected machine, boot using the Vista Media and Select “Next” and then in the bottom left you will see “Repair your Computer”; select Next and then Select Command Prompt.

2. At the command prompt, launch regedit.exe and load the SYSTEM hive, follow the below steps.

a. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

b. On the File menu, select Load Hive.

c. Browse to %WINDIR%\System32\Config Folder and select “SYSTEM”

d. Select Open.

e. In the Load Hive dialog box, type in “MySYSTEM” box for the registry hive that you want to edit.

3. After the hive is loaded, modify the following key value per the instructions below: You will need to know what ControlSet the machine is currently running on, this can be determined by going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\MySYSTEM\Select and find the “Current” value in the Right hand side. (Example: Current value is 1 then the ControlSet will be ControlSet001)

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\MySYSTEM\ControlSet00X\Services\RpcSs (X is the Number from the Current Key from above)

Value Name: ObjectName

Old Value: LocalSystem

New Value: NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService

4. Unload the SYSTEM hive by selecting the key “MySYSTEM” and then select File -> Unload Hive… menu item.

5. Exit regedit.exe

6. Reboot the system normally
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Jun-2010, 10:48 AM #4
Sorry, but do you know what it means by 'Vista Media'? Is that normal Vista or using the Vista CD?
Computer Specs
Member with 69 posts.

01-Jun-2010, 11:04 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggordonhall View Post
Sorry, but do you know what it means by 'Vista Media'? Is that normal Vista or using the Vista CD?
Vista Media is the Vista CD.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
boot, desktop, fail, problem, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!